Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blogger Appreciation: Blue Girl, Red State

Blue Girl is a woman on a mission. She is out to change the world through blogging - relentlessly creating thoughtful, well-researched, fact-based posts on big topics. Her front page today is typical of her work - it ranges from Russian pipelines to a fantastic expose' on Sam Graves and Andy Blunt getting caught trying to sneak a seat on the ethanol gravy train. Posted at 12:34 this morning, the Graves/Blunt piece is a classic example of what Blue Girl brings to the table - thorough research, clear-eyed and honest appreciation for one honest member of the opposing party, and the perspective to place the controversy in the broader context of an upcoming Congressional election. It's easy to picture her burning the midnight oil working on completing this important story before she could sleep.

There are a lot of good blogs out there, but no local political blog impresses me more regularly with deep analysis. Nobody throws up posts with multiple and wide-ranging links like she does. Nobody jumps into the middle of national issues like she does. Nobody else seems as determined to make a difference.

Her determination and take-no-prisoners attitude comes across in her profile:
I'm an over-educated, pissed-off redhead with a broadband connection and a credit card; fiercely dedicated to the Constitution; here to remind y'all that America is founded on four boxes: 1.) The Soapbox. 2.) The Ballot Box. 3.) The Jury Box. 4.) The Ammo Box. They should be used in that order. This is my soapbox.
You kind of get the idea that we should be happy she's spending her time on the first box, don't you?

There's a reasonably good chance that Blue Girl is going to be doing her work from a Blue State by the end of the year. Sam Graves is a weak candidate getting weaker by the moment. Nixon is likely to take the Governor's mansion. Dr. Sam Page is likely to be Lieutenant Governor. Jeff Harris will be Attorney General. A host of smart and aggressive candidates are challenging Republicans like never before in Missouri House and Senate races.

I won't feel sorry for Blue Girl if her name becomes outdated. She'll be bearing a good measure of the blame.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's dumber than a post about Funkhouser, though.

Otherwise, I agree with you - she's one of the best.

1/22/2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

Wow! Thanks Dan! Such high praise for someone I respect so much goes a long, long way!

(As to Funk - I am so done with him - just minutes ago I posted an apology to Alvin Brooks and my fellow citizens for backing the wrong horse last spring.)

1/22/2008 12:25 PM  
Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

As I said to Dan just now in a comment at my place, I am still acclimating to local politics - I never had a home town before, and the national stuff is definitely my forte.

But I'm working on it! And with the help of strong, savvy blogs like this one, I have an advantage in that arena!

1/22/2008 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home