Friday, November 09, 2007

What Did You Try at Lunch Today?


The Noodle Shop on 59th near Holmes is a blogger favorite. Today, I visited the wonderfully friendly shop with two friends who had never been there before, and we enjoyed a healthy, (relatively) inexpensive and amusingly loud meal, loudness provided by the three incredibly cute and excited children at the table next to ours. My bang-bang chicken with some bizarre type of pickle mixed in was utterly superb.

After lunch, I saw the chef cutting open something that looked like a vegetal hedgehog. Overcoming my usual bashfulness, I shouted a question about what the heck the thing was, and learned that they were dissecting a Durian, the infamous Asian fruit famous for a taste and odor beloved by Asians and loathed by Westerners. The chef challenged me to take a bite, and my curiosity overcame my olfactory glands.

Really, it was pretty good. Maybe I'm more Asian than I look. It was kind of a sweet, vanilla, custardy kind of thing. I wouldn't put it up near Honeycrisp apples, but it was pretty good.

By the way, you don't get to try bizarre, fun things like a durian if you go to fast food chain restaurants for lunch. Vote for restaurant diversity with your dollars.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger john said...

I live around the corner from Noodle Shop. I haven't been there much yet, but I absolutely love their pickle plate. I had no idea how good kim chee was or budock root or...

11/09/2007 10:38 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

I know what a durian looked like from watching "No reservations". Love that show. Hmmm don't know if I would be brave enough to try. Heard about your bang-bang chicken. Made me giggle!

11/10/2007 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone heard any interesting "local color" stories concerning the name "Mammy", lately?

Since this is a top political blog, I just thought the topic might come up.

11/10/2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

PP -

Your source is a joke blog. Grow up.

11/10/2007 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is at least one African American Woman in City Hall who does not seem to be laughing Dan.

11/10/2007 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,

If the "mammy" comment is true, do you think Gloria should step down from her position from as volunteer advisor?

11/10/2007 6:50 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

PP -

Says who? The same joke blog that reported that La Raza was coming?

Judge Judy -

Barring some kind of odd explanation, yeah, I probably would, but I hate to play "what if" games based upon a discredited joke blog.

11/10/2007 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try an Empire apple. You won't be disappointed.

11/10/2007 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, what do you think the NAACP will do, if the mayor's wife calls African American women "Mammy?"

I do not just mean do you think they will cancel their convention. Do you Dan, officer of the court, think that the NAACP might show up before the scheduled convention dates to protest? Do you think they might call a boycott of Kansas City that could keep MILLIONS of dollars away?

Wouldn't they be right to do so, or would you take the George Wallace approach?

Just curious Dan, since you have been so supportive of certain political figures.

11/10/2007 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home