Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Blogger Appreciation: My Spyderweb

The virtual world is normally distinct from the real one, with relatively little crossover. Most people in each world are unaware of our existence in the other. Meeting a fellow blogger is a strange experience, because I know so much more about aspects of their lives than I normally would know when meeting a stranger. Similarly, realizing that a blogger you've been reading is actually someone you know is also odd. The wall between the real and virtual world is rarely breached.

Spyder, the voice behind My Spyderweb, is a rare individual I know well on both sides of the wall. We are former coworkers, and she claims that I am the one to blame for getting her into blogging. I told her of my blog, and I suppose she figured that if I can do it, anybody can.

While respecting her privacy, let me tell you a little about Spyder in the real world, for those who don't know her. She is, as you'd guess from reading her blog, outspoken, well-informed, and funny as all get-out. You might not gather from her blog, though, that she's very religious in the best sense - not judgmental, not imposing, but in a modest and quietly inspirational way. I can't imagine her wagging her finger at anyone. I know that one of her favorite quotations comes from Teilhard de Chardin - "Joy is the infallible sign of the presence of God."

Her blog reflects her joyous side. Right now, you can find a picture of her spider tattoo, lewd commentary on her spam folder, and pictures of a bird she helped rescue. Traditional piety is notably absent, but a good time is always near.

Spyder is also the spark plug behind most of the blog meet-ups. Tonight, at her urging, some of us will be gathering at McCoy's Public House for $2 pints and good company. It's a good opportunity to connect with the human being that exists behind the web personality. I'm grateful for Spyder the web personality, and for Spyder the person. I find joy in both, as would Teilhard de Chardin.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Spyder said...

Thanks Dan! What a pleasant surprise to read this morning. I'm in such a good mood. Prayers for everybody, on the house(me)! See you tonight.

11/13/2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Waldo Oiseau said...

What a lovely post, Dan. I learned a little more about Spyder and look forward to see ya'll tonight!

11/13/2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

I would also like to add my appreciation for Miss Moneypenny.

Although Greg and Michele organized our first blogger meet up, it is largely the social and organizational skills of Spyder that keep the going.

When any of us need anything, Spyder is generally the first to step up and offer her help.

Thanks, Spyder!

11/13/2007 1:18 PM  
Blogger Kanga said...

Way back in the day, before we were married, Spyder was a tad insecure. No more. She has really blossomed into a veritable force of a woman, and I love her.

11/13/2007 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And she's just so dang cute and fun! :)

11/13/2007 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home