Sunday, October 28, 2007

Next Group Blogger Activity?

Had a wonderful time at the party on Friday evening - such a fun, interesting, lively group of people. The following morning, I was a little worse for the wear when we got up to start a shift at Harvester's at 8:30 in the morning . . .

Harvester's is one of the very best short-term volunteer opportunities I've ever experienced. Everyone was organized, and careful not to waste our time. They told us what to do (separate canned goods into categories and box them up), but didn't tell us how to do it - they let us work together without supervision to accomplish the task at hand. It wasn't overly rah-rah, and it was hard work without being painfully strenuous. At the end of four hours, we were tired and at least I was a little sore, but we knew we had done something worthwhile, and that our time was well spent.

So, what do you fellow bloggers, commenters and readers think? Is anybody else interested in socializing in a different venue? If you'll volunteer, I'll get it set up - maybe Saturday, December 1? Those of you with kids are welcome to bring them, if they're over 6. You don't even have to turn in your name, if you enjoy your anonymity.

Who's in? We had 16 people at the party, and I bet we could get 25 or more to help out a good cause. To sweeten the pot, I'll volunteer to serve lunch and beer after the shift.

Email me at dan@gonemild.com, and check back here to see if we achieve a critical mass . . .

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Spyder said...

I'm a firm believer in volunteer service. I haven't checked my calendar but I'm willing to cancel what ever I have planned to do this with a bunch of bloggers.

10/28/2007 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in. I even checked my calendar. :)

10/28/2007 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure! Count me in.

10/28/2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger FletcherDodge said...

Is it a bring-your-own event, or do they have a bar there?

10/29/2007 7:29 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Hah - I doubt the people at Harvester's would approve of us bringing our own! We could head over to my house after the shift . . .

10/29/2007 7:33 AM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

I'm in. If the daughter, young Galdriel Tanqueray Onaasis and or the girlfriend are available, I'll bring them too. It could just be me, or it could be as many as 4.

BTW, thank you very much for your kind hospitality. You and your wife are splendid and generous hosts.

10/29/2007 9:03 AM  
Blogger Kanga said...

I'm with Spyder (as usual.)

10/29/2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Well Hell Michelle said...

Great idea, Dan. Count Eric and me in.

10/29/2007 1:45 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Nope, no alcohol at Harvesters. Occasionally one can find a Bloody Mary Mix in the sorting bins, but that's about as close as it gets. :)

10/29/2007 1:49 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I'll see if I can get a sitter. If not, it'll be just me, but I don't care! I've been wanting to volunteer somewhere, somehow. I'd really like something the kids can do too, but this will work in the meantime.

10/29/2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger A Librarian said...

I'm sorry. I know you said something else but I read the word beer and completely spaced out the rest of the message:) Seriously though, I would have loved to attend but it is my Saturday to work.

10/29/2007 8:55 PM  
Blogger mamagotcha said...

Sounds like fun! I'll bring my galoot along (aka my freakishly large and strong 13yo son).

11/04/2007 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home