Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Blogger Appreciation: KC Beer Blog


Despite the fact that I greatly enjoy beer, I'm not a huge fan of most blogs devoted to the topic. Most of them are waaay too serious, and focused on numbers and rankings. Despite my efforts here from time to time, you can't fully convey the taste of a beer with words, so a website devoted solely to beer tasting gets pretty boring after a while. But, here in Kansas City, we are blessed with a sharp-eyed observer of the beer scene with the rare ability to stay both varied and focused - KC Beer Blog."

The writers of the site are Wes Port and Bull E. Vard. Between them, they keep readers well-informed about new beers available in the area, where to find them, which bars are worth visiting (pretty much all of them, depending on your mood), beer jokes, beer news, and so on. 99.9% of the time, the topic is beer, or beer-related. I admire the discipline, since I've seen comments from Mr. Vard here on political topics, but they don't make it onto the site.

The thing that really makes this site worth visiting is the writing. The posts are always engaging, and often hilarious. Witness this piece of writing, when Bull E. Vard has decided that a fellow patron at the Studio Bar is a douche for drinking Bud Light from a bottle where it is available on tap:
Wes finally arrived, I told him of the PBR special, he did the "hmm, wonder what I wa..PBR please" joke. He noted the douche to my left (Bud Light in bottle), I pointed to the tap handle, a knowing glance was exchanged. Next time this happens and I have time for another beer, I think I'll order a Bud Light in the bottle, then look at the tap handles "notice" they have Bud Light on tap and say to the bartender "sorry, didn't meant to be a douche, I'll have the Bud Light on tap". The downside of that ploy would be that I would still be a douche for drinking Bud Light, but the real douche would feel really douchey or just beat my balls in. Maybe I won't do that, silent mockery is probably best.
Folks, if that visit into the inner thoughts of a guy at a bar didn't make you smile, order yourself another bottle of Bud Light.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're such a beer snob! ;-)

10/24/2007 11:40 AM  
Blogger whistleblower said...

I'll make sure that I pass this point of view on to the fine "Union Members" at the Anheuser-Busch plant.

That should go over real well. It's good to know that the fifth most influential blog in Missouri concurs with the idea that if you drink Bud Light, you're a douche.

10/24/2007 4:25 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Whistleblower -

What is it with you? Was somebody really, really mean to you somewhere in your past? What makes you accuse me of not caring about my daughter because I describe protesters in the same manner that Fox news describes them? What makes you unable to enjoy truly hilarious writing by Mr. Vard? What makes you think that all lawyers are part of some corrupt dictatorship?

It's not really a problem for me, because I can simply ignore you, as I typically do, and will continue to do after this post. But, really, if you're like this in your real life, I worry about you. Relax. Crack a smile. Crack a Bud Light if that's what you enjoy. Read something, and try not to think of how it is an elaborate effort to insult you or those who think like you.

The rest of us are out here having fun. You don't need my approval to have fun. If you disagree with me, that's cool. You might even be right. More people like Bud Light than Belgian ales, so you have that going for you.

Be nice. Be happy.

10/24/2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger whistleblower said...

Dan...

It's very simple. If you want to refer to the protesters as right-wingers because that is what Fox News called them, refer to the Fox story.
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Oct23/0,4670,HungaryProtest,00.html

You never referred to Fox in your article. As many of your posts display a liberal bias, it was more than reasonable to consider the adjective to have been self imposed.

I found the Bud Light drinker = douche referral to be offensive. Many, many people in this country enjoy a Bud Light. I don't consider them to be douches, regardless of whether it comes from a bottle or tap. I found it even more offensive that a liberal blog would promote that kind of thought. The Democratic Party is strongly supported by the union workers that create and distribute that product.

I have never inferred that all lawyers are part of a corrupt dictatorship. Many of them operate on belief, rather than fact. I find that to be a flaw. They pretend to know the law, when, in fact, they really only know how to practice the law. Law school teaches them how to think like a lawyer, not to be an expert on the law. I don’t consider any of them that are unwilling to address an obvious problem to be honorable. If you think that a circuit court judge has the authority to issue an order to the “State of Missouri”, please point out the source for that authority.

If you somehow disagree with my contention that some judges have usurped legislative authority, then point out the flaw in my assessment. I bet you didn't take the time to look at it, because you thought it was some part of a conservative agenda. Well, it's not.

Unlike you, I don't put words in someone else’s mouth. If I can't back it up with fact, I don't make the statement.

I have quaffed many a beer in my life. I may prefer a micro-brew to a mass produced domestic, but I would never turn my nose up when the man next to me is enjoying his Bud Light. I lived in Seattle when the micro-brew craze was in full swing.

You may not like it, but my statements are generally accurate and impartial. I think you care very much for your daughter, and her well-being. I don’t think you expressed it well in your post.

10/24/2007 8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Missouri Beer

Bud Light bottles are
empirically inferior
compared to Boulevard draws--
much better and beerier.

10/26/2007 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whistleblower -

I suspect Dan is ignoring you - can't say I blame him.

Anonymous Poet -

I love it. How about this one:

You're more than a little daft
To drink a bottle instead of a draft.
It's best if it comes from a tap
Even if it's only bud light crap.

10/26/2007 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, BEER.

10/27/2007 1:03 AM  
Blogger A Librarian said...

Lord knows I meander all over the place on my blogs...and oh yeah...what thepaintman says.

10/27/2007 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home