Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Homebrew for the Blog Party


I kegged 10 gallons of homebrew yesterday evening for the Blogger Party, and I thought I'd offer a preview for those wondering whether to pick up a six-pack on the way, in lieu of risking the free stuff.

It's a maibock, which means it's a sneaky big beer. If you're a fan of Bud Light or Corona, this could be a gateway beer for better things, but you might want to bring cab money for the ride home. My version comes in at about 6.4% ABV - kind of low for a maibock, but still enough to mess you up if you don't treat it with respect.

The aroma of the beer is pure grain - little to no hop aroma. There is a hint of DMS - a cooked corn aroma - but the overwhelming impression is sweet malted grain.

On the tongue, the beer is rich and complex. It wound up a little higher in finishing gravity than I was intending, so the mouthfeel is full and silky. It's sweet, but there's a solid hop bitterness to keep it from being too sweet. It's a warming beer, with the Hallertauer hops providing a peppery flavor, and the alcohol backing it up.

This is a very good beer - it would be better in a couple months, but we're not going to wait that long, are we?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger KC Sponge said...

yeah, thanks, Dan. Just rub it in my face.

I'll have to go see some half-naked contortionists and drink all kinds of Tucher and shop with all my nickel slots winnings just to get you back.

Oh, wait, I'd much rather be here for the brew. And the good times! =)

10/23/2007 8:38 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

There'll be half-naked contortionists at the party. It's an easy costume.

10/23/2007 8:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How do you keg homebrew? Can you point me somewhere that can tell me. I'm going to take up homebrewing because I clearly don't drink enough beer.

10/23/2007 9:55 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Bull -

There's tons of information out there on kegging - it's covered in most homebrew books, too. Most homebrew shops have all the equipment you need. Kegging is a bit of a capital investment, but it saves so much time and hassle. I used to hate bottling.

If you want a free homebrewing lesson, I'm probably going to be brewing one of the next few weekends. Email me.

10/23/2007 10:10 PM  
Blogger A Librarian said...

Look at all these lovely beer blogs lately:) Can't wait till the party for the "tasting".

10/23/2007 10:47 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

I'll be brave & give it a try!

10/24/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger m.toast said...

>a gateway beer
Bwahaha! Well put.

I'm looking forward to meeting your maibock, being very much in favor of anything bocky in general.

10/26/2007 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never had a home brew I didn't like. A couple I didn't love, but they were OK.

I even dabbled with the Mr Beer kit for a while, mostly making it for weddings and b-days.

Anyway, your concoction sounds great, and I am glad to know home brewing is alive and well out there!

N }:-

10/28/2007 11:57 AM  
Blogger A Librarian said...

Ok. This was really good beer. You need to make this one again soon.

10/28/2007 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home