Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Funny Republican Incompetence - Don't Tell!

As I've mentioned before, some wag submitted one of my email addresses to the Republican National Committee, so I have been treated (subjected?) to regular emails from the likes of Ken Mehlman, Jim Talent and assorted Bushes. They've been mildly amusing and utterly unpersuasive, but I understand that I'm not their intended audience. They're targetting the true believers - the ones who think it's neat that W has their email address, and who can be counted upon to deliver votes to the ballot boxes.

The bungled handling of this list for the election was a classic. At 2:11 in the morning on election day, I received a helpful email from Michael DuHaime, the RNC Political Director, providing me with handy directions to my specific polling place.

I have to admit, that's a pretty impressive use of technology - except they got it wrong!! They told me my voting place was the Country Club Congregational Church, but it is actually a few miles away at St. Peter's! And, sure enough, when I went to the proper voting place, there was some confused woman there who was wondering if she would be able to cast a vote at St. Peter's, even though she normally votes at Country Club! Way to go, RNC!

For what it's worth, I received a final email at 2:03 this morning (long after all polls were closed) from W, exhorting me to "vote Republican and to ask all your family and friends to go to the polls. The stakes are too high for you to stay at home." Nice, George. The stakes were apparently too high for me to listen to the RNC's directions, too.

Please, dear readers, don't let the RNC know how badly it screwed up. It probably cost them a bunch of votes this time, and, really, it's only right that Republican voters be subjected to the sort of costly incompetence we've all been suffering through.

3 Comments:

Blogger dolphin said...

Argh, I'm starting to wonder if our election board here isn't populated with GOPers trying to to get rid voters. I changed my address in August, so I called to confirm my polling location Monday. She gave me the address of the polling location and everything seemed fine. Until of course I showed up yesterday morning, at which point there was "no record" of my address change and if I wanted to vote I'd have to do it from my previous address. SOOOOOOOO, a 4 hour drive later I voted and got rewarded with a four hour drive back costing $40 in gass, a day of work and one class. But at least I voted.

The Boyfriend™ called and was plainly told he couldn't vote (bluntly and with no real reason given). I didn't think that sounded right so we called back and a different woman answered and promptly told him he was fine to vote and so he did (with no incident).

Interestingly enough the woman who both told me where to vote prior to "losing" my change of address, and who told The Boyfriend™ that he couldn't vote was the same woman, Jane. I think I'll be filing a formal complaint.

11/08/2006 8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did it ever occur to you that the RNC has read your blog and sent you the e-mail to "help" you with your vote?

11/08/2006 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! Here’s one for you! I’m a registered Republican and I never get any e-mail from the party! Hmmm. Sometimes I suspect they don’t even know I exist. At any rate, I just wanted to check in with you, Dan, and congratulate you once more. First the Cardinals – the red tsunami; now the blue one. What’s next for you this year? Publishing the great American novel?

Thank you for not gloating this morning: More evidence of your commitment to reason.

11/08/2006 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home