Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Phone-Banking in Midtown

I spent a couple hours yesterday evening doing "get out the vote" calls for Claire McCaskill. The recipients were pre-screened to lean democratic, so I was left with a very positive, but utterly unjustified, impression that Claire is the overwhelming choice of Kansas City voters. It's kind of like being in Busch Stadium and concluding that the Cardinals are the most popular team in baseball - it might be true, but the survey is skewed.

One thing that did impress me is the diversity of McCaskill's support. The list shows the address, age and gender for most of the call recipients, and I got positive responses from all over the area, and from all ages and genders.

This was a refreshing reminder that our electorate is not nearly as polarized as we tend to believe. Demographic groups display tendencies, but they are not rigid. There probably are a few working class minorities who will vote for Talent. There definitely are white millionaires who will be voting for McCaskill.

Let's just pray that the Democrats show up at the voting booths on November 7.

8 Comments:

Blogger Spyder said...

Way to go Dan! We all need to step up to the plate.

10/24/2006 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Here in Kansas I will vote for Dennis Moore - DKs..he wrote me a very thoughtful letter on illegal immigrants and even gave me the phone number of where to report them. He has an impressive record as a DA and I just plain like him (one of few dems). Here in Kansas I will vote against Sebelius..thanks to her we have illegals with drivers licenses and in-state tuition.

We come in all colors and stripes Dan. It's the issues that count.

10/24/2006 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There definitely are white millionaires who will be voting for McCaskill. "

Her husband, the real estate mogul, for example.

10/24/2006 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can bet your sweet ass (no homo) that I'll be out voting on the 7th. Gonna take a little hammer with me too so that if I'm punching a paper ballot I can give it an extra TAP to make sure there aren't any hanging or pregnant chads.

As they say in Chicago, "Vote Early, Vote Often!"

10/24/2006 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll grant you that Kline fits the profile you describe. If you really knew much about your list of Republican politicos, you would know that they don't have a lot in common. To compare James Dobson and Phill Kline is just plain ignorant.

10/24/2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

Hey am I a millionaire & don't know it? Because I'm voting as every Democrat I can.

XO- My definition of vote early & vote often is get out there early & talk to people & get them to vote. Remind them, give them rides to the polls. No lazy ass Democrats! Even if it's a primary we need every vote.

10/24/2006 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon - I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that I know more about the people on my list than you do.

Care to elaborate on why it is "ignorant" to equate Phil Kline with James Dobson?

10/25/2006 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I didn't think so.

10/25/2006 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home