Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Connecticut - It Was About Me and My Mood

I managed to resist the urge to write a strong post about the Lieberman/Lamont race detailing where I stand and the many reasons that the only righteous vote would be for the candidate I supported. Somehow, I did not heed the call to weigh in with all my expertise on Connecticut, Lieberman and Lamnot. Even though the public was clamoring for Gonemild's pronouncements on what to think, I remained silent.

The way I looked at it, the race was a primary battle between a millionaire political novice and an incumbent who had consistently voted against the positions of his constituents. Personally, I thought the constituents were in the best position to decide which candidate would be better. While I had a mild preference for which candidate I hoped would win, it really didn't seem to be my business. Connecticut is one of only 8 or so states I have never set foot in, and I've never met Lieberman or Lamont. I was content to trust the process, and not use my power to determine the result by a blog endorsement or even a yard sign.

Boy, was I mistaken! This may be my greatest failure of political insight ever. I am ashamed of my lack of understanding, and stand ready to turn in my credentials to the pundit accrediting agency.

This was not a race about two Democratic primary candidates in the nutmeg state - not at all! This was about not only the future of the Democratic party, but my mood, and the moods of those I know and love! Here, I thought it was none of my business, but now I find out that I am angry, seethingly angry, unhingedly (is that a word?) angry, moonbat angry!

The corporate media, backed by their rightwing chorus of talking-point blogs, have declared that this was a national referendum on the soul of the Democrats. The fact that Connecticut chose a candidate who represents their views rather than an incumbent who does not means, according to a voice propagated by the Kansas City Star this morning, that "Bush drives many dems to distraction. They hate, hate, hate him. Their rage begins with Iraq, but spills over into and and all topics."

I didn't realize it, but I guess he must be right. I am red-faced, spitting-mad, kicking the dog and slamming car doors. I can hardly catch my breath because I hate Bush so much! My loathing is so intense that Connecticut voters picked up on my rage and supported someone who represents their views! Rather than meeting the candidates, listening to them and then blandly voting for the incumbent, as the Beltway dictates they must, they felt my pulse of red-hot anti-Bush anger and voted against an incumbent.

Fortunately, those compassionate conservatives are there to help us. They are working hard to calm us down, before we hurt ourselves or someone they think we should love. Goodwin assures us that the "Democratic grownups" (presumably, those who live and work in the beltway) "will stop the madness before Dean buries them all." Those foolish, unsophisticated Connecticut hicks who voted for Lamont are getting advice from all kinds of rightwingers, telling them how progressives should vote, and chiding them for failing to be conservative. How helpful of them!

I thought that the Connecticut primary was about a contest between a millionaire political new-comer and an incumbent who lost Democratic support by opposing Democratic policies and by literally giving Bush a sloppy kiss on TV. For once in my life, I failed at being sufficiently solipsistic. It turns out that it was about me and my mood after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, I know exactly how you feel...seriously, I do, cause I've felt the same way about other political issues. I get so upset over illegal immigration and the way it's being handled by our glorious politicians, I can hardly contain myself. I have written the most scathing letters of my life to every politician that "represents" me in both parties. So, even though I don't agree with you on the Lieberman issue, I understand your gutwrenching anger.

What is it about the politicians of today that just absolutely fries our asses? I swear I'd like to slap half of em. I know for a fact that I could sit down with a person who was as liberal as I am conservative and come up with better solutions to our problems that our elected reps do.

Damn, anger is contagious.

8/16/2006 3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did ya see all the politicos eating pork chops on a stick at the Iowa State Fair? LMAO ...

As the song goes, "We've Only Just Begun." lol

8/16/2006 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home