Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The End of the Primary Season

If you're in Missouri, and you haven't voted today, please make sure you do so. It'a a big ballot today in Kansas City, with lots of questions and candidates. Here are a few points to keep in mind on your way to the ballot:

* Wheeler has shown himself to be the corrupt, unpleasant bastard I told you he is. Vote for Sanders.

* Jolie Justus has run a classy campaign - Klumb's backers went negative after whining about those of us who looked at his track record and found it disturbing.

* Scott Burnett has run his race with the same competence and kindness that typifies his public service. His opponent - who the Star wants in because of a blind anti-incombent bias - has been running the same old nasty crap that has typified county government for years. Scott is the fresh air, not his opponent.

* Term limits are a simple-minded, anti-democratic method of shifting power away from voters and to the power-brokers. Vote against them.

* The Star has been a complete disappointment, both in its endorsements and in its pusillanimous noncoverage of some of the more interesting campaign hijinks of the season, such as the coercion surrounding Messerli's position on the Wheeler-Sanders race, and on the Freedom, Inc.'s sale of its endorsement.

* Vote for the State Parks tax.

3 Comments:

Blogger doug said...

spot on ! ! !

8/08/2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I have my list to take with me, thank! (keep your fingers crossed that the 3-year old behaves while I'm voting!)

8/08/2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Steve -

A mutual friend (and I really do like this person, so I'd rather not use the name), and one of Klumb's strong supporters emailed me and "explained" his support of DOMA and English First (unconvincingly) and wrote "I could go on, but no matter what, they will spin more, because Jason has a legislative record and the others don't". Coming from people arguing that Klumb's experience was what made him qualified in the first place, that struck me as whining. And there were more examples I could dig up in the Buzz Blog archives from Klumb supporters making statements that are either righteous complaints or whines, depending on your perspective.

I don't think I saw the Brookside Democratic Club mailer - but I agree that Jason and Jolie both, as individuals, did an excellent job of staying on the high road. That doesn't mean that everyone supporting each of them did the same.

I belonged to the CCP a little over a decade ago, and would be happy to re-up. My parting with the group was about economics, not philosophy, as I didn't have a spare $25 or $50 or whatever the dues were when the notice came.

8/10/2006 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home