Friday, September 03, 2004

Bush's Speech

I watched Bush's acceptance speech, and then went to bed. I haven't taken the time to read anyone else's views of it, so this is just me.

What a dud! He had no energy, no ideas, and no depth. He was willfully stupid in putting forward the Kerry "I voted for it before I voted against it" meme, and I'm hopeful that Kerry will swat that one back in his face.

I would have expected his speech to go over well at least with the party faithful packed into the hall, but even they seemed restless and disappointed. You could sense that they were hoping for more protester interruptions, because that at least got some excitement going in the hall.

What is it about Bush that prevents him from delivering a serious line in a straight fashion? Even when he would throw out some tired cliche about God or patriotism, you'd see him smirking or smiling at one of his buddies. He's like a fraternity boy at a party delivering a pick-up line, but paying more attention to his buddies watching him than to the one he is supposed to be impressing. His lack of sincerity is demonstrated by his foolish posturing.

Frequently, watching the convention has sent me to bed in a negative mood. Last night, I slept very well. If that's their candidate, bring it on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

LJ, I called the speech the way I saw it. I saw lots of very bored delegates. I understand you may have seen something different, but they looked decidedly unenthusiastic to me.

Am I proud of the protesters? Not really, though I think they were pretty effective in throwing Bush off and disrupting any momentum he had been building. But, really, that's a race to the bottom, and hecklers of either party should be discouraged. Discouraged, but not stomped and kicked.

Why in the world is a midnight rally a "low class" move? Did you see the crowds?

We can posture all we want about margins in November. I'm glad you're feeling confident, and not surprised that you don't want to see weekly debates. Keep up the confidence, please, and continue to dismiss the big crowds as "low class".

9/06/2004 9:53 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

LJ - while Bush took yet another vacation during the DNC (he's making Reagan look like a workaholic), the Bush campaign continued in full attack mode during the convention, with Cheney out spreading lies and misinformation. "Cheney's two immediate predecessors, Dan Quayle and Al Gore, both took vacation during the opposition's convention." http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/32-07192004-333746.html
Have you read the comments that Gore made at his midnight rally? Here they are, if you're interested: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=%5CPolitics%5Carchive%5C200409%5CPOL20040903c.html.
He responds to Bush/Cheney's accusations, cites facts, and talks about his own plans. Maybe your news source (Fox, perhaps?) didn't give you the full picture.

If you can read Cheney's comments and come away from them believing that he did not question Kerry's fitness for command, you must be reading a different Dick Cheney.

9/08/2004 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home