Thursday, August 26, 2004

Can't We Just Burn Gays at the Stake?

Having taken an inch by enshrining discrimination against gays in the Missouri Constitution, the rabid right-wing gay-haters are trying to make it a mile. Ray and Judy Buckner, represented by a lawyer named Kevin Theriot, are suing the City of Kansas City because it maintains a domestic partner registry and benefits program. These hateful bigots object "to their taxes being used to create a new marital status for people unwilling or ineligible to marry under Missouri law." They claim that the domestic partner registry creates an "imitation marriage" that conflicts with Missouri law.

I know that I should edit out some of the harsh language and try to present this matter cooly and calmly, but this just makes me crazy. These people are filing frivolous lawsuits based on silly arguments rooted in fringe interpretations of their religion. Instead of being content that they succeeded in making sure their marriage is "safe" from gay couples getting married (a logic I never understood in the first place), they are clogging up the courts with malicious attempts to further harrass people who are simply trying to live their lives as normally as possible.

My bet is that the good Judge Atwell will be dismissing this case soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose it's better than the Tennesse county who tried to outlaw being gay (not sodomy mind you, this was after lawrence vs texas, they actually tried to make it illegal for a gay person to simply exist). It's moves like these that make it so apparent to me that these groups in the right-wing are just actively out to hurt people different than themselves. While I STRONGLY disagree, I can at least offer the tiniest bit of understanding to those misguided souls who oppose gay marriage but those who oppose giving gay couples any legal partnership rights at all are really exposing their bigotry.

8/28/2004 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^ That was me again ^^

dolphin
http://www.dolphinsdock.com/blog/

PS - This is what part of the alphabet would like like Q and R were missing.

PSS - If you're host can support php and you'd like to try out the comment script I use on my site, let me know.

8/28/2004 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home