Monday, June 14, 2004

Good things about Missouri

My previous post expressed my fear that Missouri will enact an amendment enshrining discrimination in its constitution. Despite my suspicion that my state will mark itself as a home of homophobes, I still love this state. For those of you who don't know and love the Show-Me State, allow me to list a few of the reasons I'm happy to be a Missourian, in no particular order.

1. The Cardinals. Growing up listening to the exploits of Bob Gibson, Dick Groat, Curt Flood, Julian Javier and the whole gang was a joy I wish everyone could have shared.

2. Big Cedar Lodge. Beautiful.

3. Kauffman Stadium. An enthralling park in which to watch the hometeam lose.

4. We elected a dead man to the Senate instead of John Ashcroft.

5. The Blue Room. The best jazz in the world, smoke free.

6. The St. Louis Art Museum. Some of the best art in the world, free. Plus, the best place to sled in the Midwest right out front.

7. Huckleberry Finn.

8. Boulevard Pale Ale. Probably the best everyday ale in the world.

9. The soccer team that upset England in the 1950 World Cup.

10. T. S. Eliot. He was an anglophile, which I deplore, but he wrote The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, which I truly love.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan:

This may be a record. I agree with 90% of your post. I'm not a T.S. Eliot fan, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

RM

6/16/2004 1:56 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

RM -

I'm pleased you approve, but I lay awake last night chiding myself for not including Kansas City barbecue, or Charlie Parker, or . . .

(What else is missing?)

6/16/2004 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Chiefs . . .

College basketball - including the long standing KU/Mizzou rivalry . . .

The Missouri Plan for judicial selection (for any non-lawyer readers - we have merit selection of judges, eliminating the stench of judges getting campaign contributions from lawyers who appear before them)

RM

6/17/2004 10:03 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

The Cardinals are great and so is the St. Louis Art Museum.

7/05/2004 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of your sites won'[t open other than that good job!!!!

7/17/2006 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://tdavwzum.com/ssfh/wlol.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://bcglzevo.com/wsyx/khrv.html]Cool site[/url]

9/10/2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

9/10/2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://tdavwzum.com/ssfh/wlol.html | http://ityuwuzo.com/egpg/tkoi.html

9/10/2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/02/2007 4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

8/18/2007 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

8/18/2007 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

9/10/2007 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't forget about the amazing barbeque!

5/02/2010 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home