Monday, May 31, 2004

Memorial Day

I wanted to write a piece about Memorial Day. I wanted to honor my father, who served in two wars, and acknowledge the unpayable debt that I owe to those who have served. At the same time, I wanted to acknowledge the difficulty I have with those who have taken control of our military, and express my frustration that the blood my father shed is being dishonored by a President who has defiled the military by using it to advance his imperialist adventure - all while thanking those soldiers who are doing their duty honorably in Iraq, Afghanistan, South Korea and other places around the globe.

Thank you, Billmon, for writing what I wanted to write.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

My Dad would probably agree with me if he were still alive. Regardless, he would support me in stating my opinions, and he would join me in my revulsion of those who equate, in any way, shape or form, criticism of the president with lack of patriotism or lack of support for the troops.

6/04/2004 2:46 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

LJ - you write that our country has been ruined. Sad to see an America-hater out there. The situation is not as bad as you claim, and was not as good as you claim.

By comparing D-Day to Bush's adventure in Iraq is simply mistaken, and to jump from that false comparison to a conclusion that those who criticize Bush are out of step with WWII veterans is a misappropriation of their honor.

People today are, perhaps, a little less likely to indulge in blind patriotism and nationalism, and that's a good thing. In fact, that's a very good thing.

6/08/2004 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home