Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Do You REALLY Want to Know Beer?


Rumor has it that the Kansas City Bier Meisters homebrewing club is testing the waters for a special class on beer judging. The focus of the class will be preparation for the intensive Beer Judge Certification Program examination, but it will also serve as a world-class education about beer and all its variations.

It looks like the class will be divided into 5 sessions on Sunday afternoons, probably around I-35 and Lamar, and will cost $30 per session. While $150 will buy a whole bunch of Natty Light, I think I'm going to make the investment . . .

The exam will be a three hour, closed book exam divided into two portions (Written & Tasting):

Written Portion

- Ten essay questions, worth 70% of your total score

**One question on BJCP and basic brewing skills
**Four technical questions
**Five beer style questions

Tasting Portion

- Four exam beers, worth 30% of total score

**Judge beers as in competition, but no references
**Beers may be homebrew, commercial, blended, doctored, or mis-categorized.

Alright, who's in? Les? Jim?

If anyone is interested in being a certified beer snob, email me at dan@gonemild.com, and I'll get you in touch with the right people.

PS: Note the addition of the KC Beer Blog in the blogroll. It's definitely worth a visit!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I'm not sure that I like the idea that beer tasting is something I could fail at, but the class sounds like fun. When does it start?

7/31/2007 12:39 PM  
Blogger les said...

Sounds most interestin'. Hey, you've been unavailable today--forgot to feed the server hamsters or something?

7/31/2007 5:36 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

As soon as I find out more specifics, I'll let the two of you know. I have no idea WTF is happening with the server, but I'm not happy about it.

7/31/2007 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home