Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Loyalty Pledges for Kansas Republicans??

(UPDATE: Invaluable commenter Travelingal smelled a rat, and tracked the source of this down to a kooky rightwing website that cannot fairly be said to represent the Johnson County Republican party. Sorry for spreading misinformation, and thank you, Travelingal, for the correction.)

Even I am shocked at this development. In an attempt to prevent further defections from the Republican Party as Johnson County lurches further and further to the unelectable right, Johnson County Republicans have drafted a loyalty pledge, in which they are asking Republicans to never, ever, no matter what, stray from the party line. Here's the text, which is posted on Blue Tide Rising:
GOP Unity Pledge

I, _______________, promise never to abandon my present Republican Party affiliation for the purpose of political gain. The Republican Party, both nationally and domestically, was founded on sound and principled ideals, that include but are not limited to, personal liberty, individual freedom, responsive and citizen-based Government, life-affirming values, economic growth, strong and cutting edge military, low taxes and a mutual respect for fellow Republicans. Because of that, I will, at no point in my political or personal future, find cause to transfer my Party loyalty to any other affiliated organization.

I will not, at any future moment, become a registered Democrat for the purpose of seeking any political office. Additionally, I will not change my Party affiliation to that of any peripheral political party, such as the Reform Party, the Green Party or the Libertarian Party. Such a move would be not only opportunistic, it would be an unjustified trampling of everything that I previously claimed to stand for.

I care far too deeply about the previously espoused Republican ideals as well as the thousands of hard-working Republican citizens all over the State of Kansas to ever consider changing my political Party affiliation. I look forward to a life of citizen-serving, Republican political involvement. I thank the Kansas Republican Party, including all of the registered Kansas Republicans, for their years of service, good will and friendship.

I solemnly pledge to always be a Republican, no matter what promises are made by external forces seeking only to undermine the Republican values I stand for. I can have reasonable disagreement with members of the Republican Party; however, at no point will ‘Party switching’ or quitting of the Party be tolerable.

Signed,

X __________________________________
There are dozens of ways to make fun of this, but I don't want to. If you are a Johnson County Republican, now is a time of crisis. You have three choices. Fight to regain your party. Leave the party and join the Democrats. Or pledge loyalty forever to a party that demands that you pledge loyalty.

Look at what they are trying to do to themselves. Now, think of what they would like to do to you, and your freedoms.

Anything further I could say would violate Godwin's Law.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

You know, I remember as a small child asking my dad what the difference was between Democrats and Republicans.

Now my dad wasn't a member of the Intellectual Elite, nor was he particularly political. He was just a blue collar guy working to support his family.

His description was "Democrats are always trying to change things and Republicans want things to stay the way they are."

I'd say that is a pretty accurate description of the difference between the Progressive and Conservative idealogies.

So it is no wonder that Conservative Republicans embrace fundamentalist Christianity. They espouse the view that nothing has changed since God created the world six thousand years ago, and any thing that MAY have changed was wrong and should bbe reversed. It is not surprising then that they would ask their members to sign a loyalty pledge that says "no matter what happens, no matter what facts you may be presented with, no matter how badly we screws hit up, you must remain LOYAL.

Closed-minded, tight-assed, Luddites. They all might as well go back to wearing robes and sandals.

7/25/2007 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another appropriate question is: who is really going to sign this thing, except the people currently in control of the party?

I think the answer is no one, and CERTAINLY NOT THE REPUBLICAN MODERATES who are at the highest risk of defecting.

This is sooooo classic. They put together an approach aimed at retaining Republican Moderates that will have the direct effect of alientaing those same moderates.

What idiots.

Plus, there's no possible or rational enforcement mechanisms, either. Other than the embarassment of a right-wing nutbag waiving a piece of paper at a press conference screaming "promise-breaker!". Quite frankly is much more of an embarrassment to sign the letter in the first place.

7/25/2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

If only such a contract could be legally binding... I would love to see this play itself out in the courts.

7/25/2007 9:23 AM  
Blogger les said...

I'm nearly speechless. Although, a promise to avoid "unjustified trampling" can't be all bad, I guess. Shorter: I pledge to avoid independent thought, independent action and do as I am told at all times.

There's nothing like the smell of desperation in the morning.

7/25/2007 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so i post a response rebutting all this as a blog creation, with link to it, and my comment never appears?

7/25/2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Travelingal -

Yes, that's right. I swear I don't edit or delete your comments. (Though I'll be embarrassed if this turns out to be bogus!)

7/25/2007 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trying one more time. I don't know who this outfit is , but it isn't the Kansas Republican party official anything. Dan..I know you don't edit my comments...some computer glitch.
http://blog.stayredkansas.com/2007/07/11/gop-unity-pledge.aspx

7/25/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Wow - what a kooky site! Thanks for providing the link, Travelingal, and you are correct - it is just a blog, not Kobach or any official Johnson County Republican position. I'll add an update to the post acknowledging the origin as soon as I get home from work this evening. (I don't even like to comment from work, much less post . . .)

7/25/2007 10:03 AM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

I think the Iraq War Philosophy should apply here.

Sure, it was based on lies. But it doesn't matter HOW we got here. The fact is, we are here and we have to see this through! We can't cut and run now!

We have to keep hammering away on this as thought it were actually a real Republican document!

To admit defeat now is just letting the terrorists win.

7/25/2007 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dan. Even though I'm a conservative, this didn't pass the "smell test" with me so I decided to track its source. After I danced through the blogosphere, I ended up at that far out site.

7/25/2007 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

XO, you remind me of Dennis Miller...lol

7/25/2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger KC Sponge said...

Hey XO - that was the exact same definition I got from my 6th grade History teacher - was just thinking about that the other day while listening to the radio. . . I'm not quite sure it would still apply today - trying to change my constitution and my rights and my country's image as a whole . . . not quite the status quo they're seeking.

7/25/2007 11:57 AM  
Blogger FletcherDodge said...

I'm glad this thing turned out to be bogus. Signing that pledge would be in direct conflict with the oath I took to join my fraternity in college.

7/25/2007 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kansas,
The state so great,
Even our Democrats are Republicans!

7/26/2007 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home