Sunday, June 04, 2006

Commenting on Other Blogs

I haven't been quite as productive here as I'd like to be - my goal is to post at least once a day, with the pieces ranging from analytical essays to quick observations. Of course, "the world is too much with us, late and soon," and I fail to meet even this modest goal. Sigh.

One of my excuses is that I have been carrying the fight to the opposition. For some reason, I feel compelled to regularly comment on a few of the right wing bloggers. When they post something that strikes me as shallow, or irrational, I feel like it is better to go ahead and counter the post right there so that their readers will be exposed to a different view.

I kind of admire the right wing blogs that allow my comments. Many on the right don't allow comments at all, which, IMHO, demonstrates an authoritarian fear of questioning that undercuts their credibility. No commenting, however, is better than the most dishonest bloggers, who will actually edit comment threads to put themselves in a better position, and who are quick to ban contrarian voices. Matt Margolis banned me from his blogs because I provided a link which disproved his claim that the New York Times has ignored a story. Comments are the sunshine of blog discourse.

Engaging in comment exchanges is actually a lot of fun, but time-consuming. As the inimitable Xavier Onassis has observed, it can interfere with your own blogging, and common househild chores. I'm hoping the coming weeks allow a little more balance.

Anonymous Me, Travelingal, and other commenters from across the political spectrum - thank you for taking the time to provide your input. You make this blog a far better place to visit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

Thanks for the plug Dan, but I'm really not all that "inimitable". I'm probably pretty easy to imitate.

Just pretend to be a cranky, old, pissed off bastard who loves his country, is ashamed and frightened of the direction in which it is being "led", and who likes throwing rocks at hornet's nests.

Keep up the Good Fight.

What time (BB's) on Sunday? Is that Father's Day?

6/04/2006 6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the welcome, Dan.

Like, XO, am also frightened of the direction in which this country is being led, but why do we see that direction so differently? What experiences led us to our conclusions? I like learning how and why. I also like tulips. :-)

6/04/2006 8:09 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

travelingal - "but why do we see that direction so differently? What experiences led us to our conclusions?"

You have no idea how badly I'd like to get to a real, actionable answer to this question.

The "easy answer" is action/reaction.

WWII > World Loves Us > Cold War > Rock and Roll > Vietnam > Sixties Counter Culture > Nixon Impeachment > Carter Iran Hostages > Reagan Imperialism > Clinton Blow Job > Dubya > World Hates Us

Sixty years ago we were the Saviors Of The World. Everyone (even the ones we defeated...Germany and Japan) LOVED us.

Now, EVERYONE (even the ones we have "liberated"...Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq) hate us. With a passion. Even our former allies. Germany, France, Western Europe, NATO.

I really, REALLY wish someone could explain that in a manner that would establish a foundation that would bring us closer to making the world safer for my twelve year old daughter.

6/04/2006 8:56 PM  
Blogger Reverse_Vampyr said...

Dan,

Thanks for the link, as well as for your comments. Whether we agree or not, it makes for an interesting discussion.

6/05/2006 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home