Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Yesterday evening, I exercised my right to bear arms at the Powder Creek Shooting Park in Johnson County. For a few hours, Alex, Rachel, Woody, Sam (my son) and I shot trap and skeet. I think I enjoyed it almost as much as Alex enjoyed watching a liberal getting kicked by a 12 gauge.

I enjoyed the experience. I caught on a lot quicker than I thought I would, and shot well enough that I think I could have catered a banquet of all the democrats in Johnson County, if only clay pigeons were edible. Skeet (where the clay pigeons fly across your field of vision from launchers on either side) is a lot more fun than trap shooting (where they launch away from you on an angle from a bunker in front of you). Doubles (where both skeet launchers fire at the same time, and you take two quick shots) are great fun.

To summarize, I burned a few gallons of petrochemicals to go into deep Kansas suburbia so I could be around white people, shoot weapons and act like I was killing things wihout remorse. It was fun to be a Republican for an evening.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know Dan, I take exception to your characterization of the boonies I live in. You were a few miles from my house, but apparently you didn't see the biracial child that lives here. Apparently you also didn't notice the office of Congressman Dennis Moore, D-Ks, on Santa Fe Drive on 87th Street in Overland Park either. Guess you also didn't notice the significant Hispanic population in my Johnson County town. Most of all, guess you didn't notice the Eagles on the Kaw River or the heron that visits my pond or the wildflowers...I think you might be missing a thing or 2. Glad you enjoyed your skeet shooting outing. Next time you visit, you might want to expand your horizons a bit. I always have Boulevard Wheat in the frig.

5/24/2006 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgot to leave my name again..above from travelingal

5/24/2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

"apparently you didn't see the biracial child that lives here".

Wow!!! "the" biracial child!!!

What a bustling, urban center of ethnic diversity!!

And Dan, you should be ashamed of yourself! Pretty sure the Johnson County Skeet is on the Endangered Species list.

Not to be confused with the Johnson County Skank which are plentiful and can be bagged without limit.

5/24/2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Travelingal -

You've got to give me a little room for fun - if you can't make fun of JoCo for being cupcake land, you can't make fun of anything. And, yeah, I have a biracial nephew growing up in a JoCo republican household, so I know the stereotypes aren't universally accurate.

And, to be honest, Sam and I commented on the beauty of the land out on 87th street.

Next time you're in the Brookside area, come on over and have a homebrew.

5/24/2006 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also shot skeet over the weekend. Coincedence?
I always assumed you HAD a mullet.
The south's going to do it again.

5/24/2006 10:35 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

Travelingal - My respect for you grows (reluctantly) with every post.

But it's really starting to interfere with my blatantly uninformed, impersanal rants.

If you keep this up, we might stumble upon some common ground.

What good could possibly come of that?

LOL!

5/24/2006 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dorothy, Toto and Cupcake land too huh. Well, guess it could be worse. Travelingal will try to be a little more tolerant and look for the humor before she climbs all over your pathetic wanna be blue state asses..lol

Have a wonderful, sunny day neighbors :-)

5/25/2006 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home