Saturday, June 26, 2004

Fahrenheit 9-11

I saw the movie this afternoon, and I was . . .
Disappointed. Underwhelmed. Wishing I had edited it so that it could have had more of a message.

Perhaps I was done in by the hype. I was expecting something to pull together the criticisms of Bush and tie them up into a fresh and interesting theme. Instead, it was an amalgamation of random swipes at Bush, a hodge-podge of over-riding themes, and a few distracting cheap shots.

If you have a fundamental awareness of what is going on in this world, the movie breaks no new ground. It is a great collection of Bush's weaknesses, but it needs a theme and some discipline.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it was Michael Moore after all. Agree with him as I might, he's kinda a moron.

-dolphin

6/26/2004 11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's refreshing to read intelligent comments about something as political as Moore's film. I haven't seen the film yet, but plan to as soon as I can find the time. With the exception of this blog, most places that have discussed the film fall into to predictable camps: 1) Liberals who froth at the mouth over how wonderful the film is because they hate Bush so much; 2) Conservatives who froth at the mouth about how evil Michael Moore is and how unpatriotic it is to go to the movie because they love Bush so much. Thanks for your honest impressions.

I lean conservative and I'm glad I live in a country where we can ask questions and criticize our government. Whether Moore is right or wrong, our country will be a lot better off if we discuss the types of issues he apparently adresses in the movie. While I'm not a fan of Moore's, if he is getting people talking, thinking and asking questions who were apathetic before, then he has accomplished something worthwhile.

RM

7/05/2004 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Jen, an admitted card-carrying Republican.

Moore's film has been debunked as a pack of tightly wound lies by Michael Issikoff at Newsweek, in addition to a few others. Just thought I'd let you know. =)

7/08/2004 4:18 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Jen, sorry, but the debunking has been debunked. Nobody can really lay a glove on Moore's facts - they're just arranged in the most persuasive manner possible.

7/09/2004 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home