Thursday, June 04, 2009

Bill Corrigan - St. Louis County Gets a Great Republican to Run for County Executive

Bill Corrigan has finally announced a run for public office. I've seen it coming since 1982, when Bill and I started law school together, and we were both elected as 1l representatives to the student bar association.

Bill Corrigan is a good man. I got to know him well in Law School over Booche burgers and pitchers of beer at the Heidelberg. I got to know him better when we served together on the Missouri Bar Young Lawyers Section Council, and I worked with him when we were both on the Missouri Bar Board of Governors. Since then, we've stayed in touch through occasional phone calls or meals in each others' towns.

Bill is devoted to public service, and always has been. I remember in the summer of 1993, when flooding struck hard in Missouri, and the Missouri Bar Young Lawyers stepped up to coordinate free legal assistance in Disaster Assistance Centers in all affected counties. Bill was chair of the YLS at the time, and the leadership of the effort fell on his shoulders.

He did an outstanding job, both in the nitty-gritty detail of keeping up on which DACs were open in which counties for what times, and in the politics of making certain that the best possible support was available despite the efforts of some officials to turn the tragedy into a self-promotional photo-op. While others made sure to get their pictures taken with a sandbag or two, Bill was up early every morning for weeks, participating in conference calls, reporting on shifts filled, and collaborating on form legal documents and background briefings for volunteer attorneys. It was an incredible demonstration of serious public service over and above the time and energy pressures faced by a young attorney trying to "make partner" at a large law firm.

None of this even gets mentioned on his resume.

Of course, the vast majority of the reasons I think Bill would be great for public office don't show up on any resume. Instead, they are the sorts of things you learn through working with a guy and seeing first-hand his compassion, energy, intellect and spontaneous humor. I've had my share of disagreements with Bill on dozens of issues, and he has always been respectful, rational and well-thought-out.

I don't know Charlie Dooley and I don't like supporting Republicans, but Bill Corrigan is a truly great guy I've admired for a quarter century. If Dooley's campaign believes that he is "another lamb for slaughter", as they've claimed, I can understand how they could be misled by his kind personality. But Bill Corrigan is a serious force who gets things done. I know Bill well, and I can assure you that he has a plan to win this thing, and that, when he does, he will be effective and wise in his governance of the County.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Brilliant, well-reasoned analysis there, anonymous. Every single Republican is a filthy crook, right?

And, of course, I still support our Mayor vocally. Things are going well for him lately, though, with the failed recall attempt, etc., so I haven't felt the need to do any front page posts about him.

We should all thank our lucky stars he is our mayor - can you imagine how bad it would be if the old gang were still handing out tax breaks and subsidies to favored cronies?

6/05/2009 8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a true blue proud liberal, to the left of Obama. If I lived in St. Louis County, I would vote for Bill Corrigan because he is a dedicated leader -- the kind of person who makes our country work. A party label tells nothing about the characterists of a person or their motivation.

6/05/2009 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a Republican most of the time (voted for Jay Nixon, for example). Bill Corrigan is a fine man--he'd do a great job. By the way, I don't want corporate interests ahead of the public interest in any way. At the same time, however, these terrible corporations employ millions of us. People work at these corporations--there are good and bad people everywhere. The worst think about the GOP is that their leaders forgot what separated the party from the others, i.e., low taxes, strong military, compassion on entitlements, etc. They screwed it up so badly, even a candidate with no experience was able to assume the Oval Office.

6/05/2009 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a liberal. And I do live in St. Louis. And I am supporting Bill. County Exec has no "wedge issues" - just jobs, crime, roads, and the economy. Our current County Exec does absolutely nothing. Bill is a terrific human being, a proven leader who can reach out to all people. We can't vote blindly for labels and parties anymore. Vote for leaders.

7/13/2009 3:32 PM  
Blogger Reese Forbes said...

His ethics sound right on, but that seems to make no difference in politics, especially Republican.
BTW anon. I never read anything by anonymous people, but could not miss the FU, which certainly defines your mentality.

10/01/2009 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home