Wednesday, May 27, 2009

There are real human beings involved

As a blogger, I'm a little aghast tonight. A fellow Kansas City blogger - not a fringe blogger, but someone with a significant readership - posted something vile today that gleefully attacked the appearance of a person's wife and celebrated a crime scene photo of the same person's murdered father.

Where is the humanity?

In what hate-filled, depraved world is that exercise of protected free speech the right thing to do?

Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the demonization of public figures. It's easy to forget that the person in your bomb sights has emotions, and that, at the end of the day, making fun of a photo of a dead father is a pretty heartless and pointless thing to do.

I've written a few things I've regretted in hindsight, and I worry about the legitimacy of the criticism I've directed toward the people who have devoted themselves toward serving the public. The people I have met who have chosen to get involved in public policy, even those I disagree with, are generally very caring people, however misguided I may think they are.

Cruelty may be legal, but it's ugly, and disturbing to see.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

I don't know what bastard you're talking about but I heard that katy loves a TKC file photo "honoring" her and might have even printed it out. I've also heard that she likes the Jabba reference because she's a casual Star Wars fan . . . But we could both be talking about different things. And I could have heard wrong or you heard different.

As for the crime scene photo . . . No argument there . . . But I was thinking about running one I had today too. Somebody will probably beat me to the punch.

5/28/2009 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Tony supported Brooks:

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2006/05/alvin-brooks-should-be-next-mayor-of.html

5/28/2009 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony keeps saying that he voted for Shields. He is lying.

On top of that he is engaged in a business combination with Darla Jaye, a right wing radio jockette.

Now Toney is taking money from Darla in the form of on-line ads.

Even if one agrees with him, he can no longer be seen as an independent voice once he takes money from a commentator.

He is officially a whore.

Dan takes no money from interests that he writes about.

5/28/2009 9:12 PM  
Blogger craig said...

lighten up Dan.
If you can't make fun of Shields and Cardarella, then what is the use of living in Jackson County?
However, Tony's story was wrong. The Shields/Cardarella defense was that they were too dumb to understand the paperwork. If I was on a jury I might have bought it too.

5/29/2009 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone provide a link to what Dan is talking about?

5/29/2009 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home