Monday, November 03, 2008

Looking Down Ballot: Chris Koster for Attorney General

I don't hide my disappointment that Chris Koster won the primary, and I believe that his tactic of recruiting Molly Korth Williams to jump into the race was contemptible. I even toyed with the idea of endorsing Mike Gibbons to register my displeasure.

But, despite it all, Chris Koster is the best candidate for the office. For me, the issue that illustrates why we need Chris Koster is the Missouri Plan, about which I've written frequently. Gibbons wants to make changes to it, and Koster recognizes that it is working effectively, and should not be tampered with. I understand how an uninformed non-lawyer may be duped into thinking that we need to change the Missouri Plan, but not someone who is seeking to lead Missouri's law firm.

There are other reasons to oppose Mike Gibbons, such as his eagerness to shut down the investigation into Matt Blunt's emails, but, really, if he can't even get the Missouri Plan right, the choice is clear.

Vote for Chris Koster for the good of Missouri, even if it kind of makes you feel dirty.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What could Gibbons do as AG to promote the Missouri Plan? Getting him out of the legislature moves him away from the power to affect that change.

I read in the Star that Gibbons' policy priority was to devote resources to catching dirty men on the internet trying to seduce kids. I associate that position with dullards who don't have much appreciation for the challenges law enforcement faces. I think we've got enough cops posing as 14 year old girls on the internet.

The AG campaign has been pretty stupid. Koster thinks he's running to be Arthur Branch. Gibbons thinks plea bargaining 90% of one's cases is (a) relevant to being AG and (b) a bad thing. Gibbons seems to have a better appreciation for what the job is, but to the extent he can implement policy it's more likely to be policy I disagree with. Koster might propose some nice shiny toys that sound good, but I question his commitment to do anything but position himself for the next step.

I think both men are ill-suited for the job and that both parties should be ashamed of these lame candidates. I'll probably leave it blank or vote for Gibbons with the reasoning that I don't want either of these men to advance in politics and Gibbons is a shittier campaigner who will be easier to defeat in the future.

Boo on every democrat that brought us Koster. (That includes you Nixon. I may just leave that one blank, too, since you don't need my vote anyway).

11/03/2008 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I respect your opinion Dan. But I am worried enough about what Koster may do to the party that I am, unfortuntely, voting for Gibbons.

I am not one of these that has a lot of postive to say about him either. I just think there are enough questions about Koster that I don't want to take the risk.

I could and have been wrong many, many times before.

11/03/2008 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't do it. Koster is just too sleezy for me. I would have to shower after voting and I don't have time.

11/03/2008 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Dan - I think we are voting almost exactly the same, but I can't go with you on this one. Koster is as bad as you claimed back during the primaries. I wish there were a third party candidate.

11/03/2008 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the right call. Koster is by far the most qualified. If everyone could give Koster a chance they would quickly see what a negative campaign Gibbons has run. His entire message is Koster bouncing a $18 check whenhe was 25 years old.

It is time to get behind Koster.

11/03/2008 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't vote for Koster or Nixon. Both make me want to wash my hands with Lysol after voting. I'll leave the box unmarked. The Democrat party has to offer better than these two.

11/03/2008 11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home