Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Vincent Gauthier Can Kiss My Fine White . . .

T-shirt.

I've only met the guy once or twice, and everyone says he's a great guy, but Monday's post on the Pitch's Plog convinced me that he may be the source of the type of small-minded fashion intolerance that has dogged my days ever since my mother arbitrarily told me I couldn't wear striped shirts with plaid shorts.

Here's the part of the posting that torqued my tidy whities -
It was at this point that Gauthier blew my mind – he made me aware of a style faux pas that I’d never even thought to be annoyed by. “I don’t like when guys wear polo shirts unbuttoned so their white t-shirts show underneath,” he said. “That’s why you wear v-necks – so it doesn’t show.” He pulled down the collar of his shirt to show the v-neck artfully hidden underneath.

Gauthier bet me a beer that the guy with his back to us in a neighboring booth was committing the visible-undershirt sin. Sure enough, he was, and after a quick glance around Bo Ling’s we counted half a dozen more men with the same issue. Great. Now I owe Gauthier a beer and I have a new grievance with menswear.
What?!?!?!

Who says I can't wear regular t-shirts under polo shirts?!?!?

I can tell you right now, I'm not going to run out and buy a whole new set of t-shirts just so Vincent Gauthier and Nadia Pflaum aren't offended by the glaring white of the top of my t-shirt. Uh-uh, not gonna happen.

And, from the sounds of things at Bo-Ling's that day, the vast majority of men agree with me on this. Let's stick together on this, guys - we can nip this one in the bud if none of us starts buckling to this freshly-minted attempt to tell us what to wear.

Today, the Gauthier Rule on t-shirts is only a personal quirk, with no force to make us conform. Already, it's gained one proponent, in the form of a Pitch writer who runs around town taking pictures of people because of their "sense of style". It could spread easily - those of us with daughters know that middle-aged guys are presumed guilty of fashion faux pas.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan do not worry about stripes and plaids or T-shirts with polo shirts, because with your glasses you will always betray yourself as an untrustworthy geek. All the other stuff is just icing on the nerdy-cake.

8/13/2008 7:59 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Viva la revolucion!

Down with the V-neck!

8/13/2008 8:00 AM  
Blogger The DLC said...

I totally agree about the t-shirt. It's actually a style decision to let one's t-shirt show, which is why many have taken to wearing colored varieties.

Never understood v-necks.

8/13/2008 8:57 AM  
Blogger Chimpotle said...

I already hated those fashion posts, but now I have good reason. I rock the t-shirt under everything...white during work and various colors otherwise.

Because you know what's lamer than seeing a t-shirt under a shirt? Seeing someone's chest hair spilling out.

8/13/2008 9:02 AM  
Blogger les said...

I'm with ya, but it's a losing battle--guys like us are presumed in fashion error, not without reason.

Hmph. You kids get offa my lawn!!!

8/13/2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger KC Sponge said...

Now that is definitely his wife's bad advice showing through.

There are many things I would seek counsel on from the intelligent, gregarious, and talented Vincent Gauthier - but fashion advice would be the absolute last. Stick to designing physical space . . . not our wardrobes.

8/13/2008 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not just no, but HELL no. I have worn a white t-shirt under a work shirt since my Navy days. In uniform your t-shirt must show. It stuck with me, and now when I am getting all sweaty at work and my white collar sags below the buttoned area, I fell improperly attired for work.

8/13/2008 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhh, isn't it "tighty whities" Dan?

8/13/2008 3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan:

You don't wear this?

8/13/2008 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silence is a tacit admission?

8/16/2008 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy Generic Lasix.Buy Lasix Online
Buy Oxycontin Online.Buying Oxycontin
Buy Soma Online.Order Soma.Cheap Soma
Buy Fioricet Online.Generic Fioricet online
Cheap Tramadol Cod.Very Cheap Tramadol

9/07/2008 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy Propecia Online.Buy Generic Propecia
Buy Acomplia Online.Acomplia Discount
Buy Xenical Online.Order Xenical
Buy Lipitor online.Generic Lipitor Cheap
Buy Provera Online.Cheap Generic Provera

9/07/2008 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home