Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Awesome Beer and Food, and Blogging Awkwardness

Last night, to console ourselves for the end of our daughter's spring break trip home, we attended a Brewmaster's Dinner at 75th Street Brewery. Here's what was on the menu:
Pre-App
Smoked Trout in Phyllo Cups

Appetizer
Savory Chevre Crostinis
Roasted mushrooms and shallots atop griddled boxty, finished with melted goat cheese

Paired w/75th Street Brewery's Fountain City Irish Red


Soup
Scotch Broth
Traditional Irish lamb soup served with rye bread bowl

Paired w/75th Street Brewery's Belgian Double


Salad
Roasted Roots and Greens
Glazed baby carrots, parsnips, onions, sweet potatoes and leeks tossed with Mustard Greens and a Rosemary-Honey Vinaigrette

Paired w/75th Street Brewery's Saxy Golden Ale

Entrée
Braised Oxtail
Slow-roasted, red-wine-braised oxtail served with rutabaga-tripe oatcakes and apple mash

Paired w/75th Street Brewery's Muddy Mo Dry Irish Stout


Dessert
Lemon Posset
A chilled creamy lemon parfait

Paired w/Boulevard Brewing Company's Smokestack Series Saison
If you're thinking "Hey, that doesn't look like a proper meal for someone trying to do Weightwatchers . . .", yeah, you have a good point there, but it was worth the exercise and canned soup I'll be facing for the rest of the weak. The meal was fantastic, and featured brief explanations about the food and the beer. At $40/person, including tax and tip ($35 for Mug Club members), it was a bargain for that many courses paired with that many drinks. 75th Street will be doing these monthly, so get on their mailing list and check out the future menus.

As for the awkwardness, I happened to be seated next to an elected Johnson County Republican. When I introduced myself, he replied "I've heard of you somewhere . . .", and I could see him running through his mental rolodex. Fortunately, he didn't connect the dots, and we had a fine time enjoying food, beer, and apolitical discussion . . .

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the explanation include the reason why a traditional Irish soup was called "Scotch broth"?

3/25/2008 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I give..

What's a griddled boxty? I consider myself a pretty accomplished cook, but that one is new to me..

3/25/2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger whistleblower said...

Boxty is a traditional griddled potato pancake rolled around Guinness-braised beef.

I had to look it up. :>)

3/25/2008 5:32 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Sorry I didn't get to respond more quickly. Boxty is a potato pancake, filled or topped with savory ingredients. Whistleblower found one of my favorite variety, but I've also had boxty with salmon, and last night's had a great mushroom and goat cheese topping.

I believe that O'Dowd's serves boxty.

3/25/2008 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a post on the brookside price chopper shooting? I'd be interested to hear your take.
http://www.kctv5.com/video/15706697/index.html?rss=kan&psp=news

3/26/2008 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why is sitting next to a JoCo republican awkward? I'm sure he'll use small words for you . . .

;-)

3/26/2008 8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boxty must be a mid western thing. Never heard of it here in the north east. Ever heard of a pasty? And no, not those things that women wear... (-:

3/26/2008 11:25 AM  
Blogger whistleblower said...

After a little more research, I found that boxty is traditionally just an Irish potato pancake.

Putting it under or around beef, chicken, or cheese seems to be a variant considered to be a boxty dish.

I found one recipe that used grilled chicken, vegetables, rice and curry. Mmmm.. sounds tasty.

Here's a link to a recipe for boxty.

I bet it would be killer with meatloaf and gravy on top.

3/26/2008 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home