Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Would You Sell Your Vote?


A survey of NYU undergraduate students shows that 20% would trade their right to vote in the next Presidential election for an iPod Touch. "66 percent said they'd forfeit their vote for a free ride to NYU. And half said they'd give up the right to vote forever for $1 million."

Ironically, these students are aware of the value of a vote. "70.5 percent said they believe that one vote can make a difference - including 70 percent of the students who said they'd give up their vote for free tuition."

At first, these numbers surprised me, but further thought on the matter puts it into a more understandable light. Over one third of voters relinquished their right to vote in the most recent Presidential election. If you were going to relinquish that right for nothing, why not pick up an iPod Touch for the lack of effort?

Student explanations of the results varied. One pointed out that none of the likely candidates closely reflected his views, anyhow. The obverse of that point was made by a young woman who observed that New York would remain a blue state without her vote. None of these students pointed to the Supreme Court's overriding the election process in 2000 as ground for their electoral nihilism, but they were mostly under 15 at the time.

Personally, I'd enjoy an iPod a lot more than I enjoyed the results of the last two presidential elections . . .

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

So 66% would do it for a free ride, but only 50% would do it for a million? College educations must have gotten more expensive than I thought.

11/27/2007 7:49 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

It's close, but not that bad.

The million is to give up voting forever. The free ride (worth about $46,000) is for giving up voting in the next Presidential election only.

11/27/2007 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I'm being honest, I'd probably give up the right for just the next election to get my student loans paid off, and getting back the money I've already paid (and the money I earned through scholarships). This election is most likely going to go to a Democrat or Rudy Giuliani. I'm not a great Giuliani fan by no means and have some strong reasons to oppose him, BUT, ultimately I think I could live with him for 4 years, then vote him out in the next one.

11/27/2007 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if most people are truly honest, they'd give up their right to vote forever for $1 million. For an I-Pod/one Presidential election, never, but face it, no matter who is elected, he/she will disappoint you. I can't think of one politician in my life who hasn't in one way or another sucked and none of them have been worth a million bucks to me.

11/27/2007 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travelingal has it right this time.

Dolphin do you always drink in the morning? Giuliani is a WOP whore who has been photographed in a dress multiple times. Man I sure what him as the man who brings the Stars and Stripes to the world. NOT

The traditional Democrat's Republican choice is Huckabee, which is probably where I will go. He is a solid southerner who does not buy into northeastern social PC "tolerance" but he understands that people need tax cuts and less government regulation on their lives and businesses. And he can tell a joke with the best of them. The same reasons I voted for Reagan twice.

11/27/2007 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The traditional Democrat's Republican choice is Huckabee

Since we're talking about money and votes, I can safely say that NO amount of money would get me to vote for Huckabee.

11/27/2007 11:47 AM  
Blogger Eolaí gan Fhéile said...

When we talk about them believing their vote does (or can) make a difference are we talking about in determining which candidate is successful or a longer term view of the effectiveness of the elected?

11/27/2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger Ambitious Fledgling said...

I'd take the million.

My only explanation you ask?

You try being a middle class, working student mother of one. lol

Nothing further.

=)

11/28/2007 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home