Thursday, May 10, 2007

Foul Ball Fairness

Ancillary Adams reminisces about his appreciation of Rickey Henderson, but the story which provoked it raises a serious issue.

Be forewarned, little kids. If I catch a foul ball at a baseball game, I'm keeping it. I've wanted to do that since I was a little kid myself. When I see little kids going into the stadium with baseball gloves, I recall the disappointment and embarrassment I felt when one of my older friends told me it wasn't "cool" to bring my glove in anymore.

I've never caught one - I've never even come close. (When Sam was a little boy, a screaming line drive missed him by inches at a minor league park in Utica, NY, but I didn't even see it coming.) So, if I ever catch one, it will satisfy a wish I've carried inside me longer than I can remember. And if you come up to me with sad eyes and a baseball glove, don't expect me to put the ball in your glove. It ain't gonna happen.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Scrooge.

5/10/2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger les said...

I hear ya; the baseball gods ain't fair. Closest I came--Royals; took my glove; high pop foul right at me. Young daughter on lap, obscuring glove; tried to catch it bare handed while shoving child out of harm's way. Got hand to ball, it dropped at my feet, old bastard geezer in front of me grabbed it. My hand hurt for a week.

5/10/2007 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Dan. There are places to be generous, and places to look out for your own interests. Foul ball - all bets are off. I'll surrender said ball to no one.

5/11/2007 8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. Having just caught a foul ball (bare handed, no less), I finally satisfied nearly every baseball fan's ballpark dream. I have no problem keeping that ball for myself.

5/17/2007 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home