Monday, April 23, 2007

New to the Blogroll

It's been a while since I've added to my blogroll, and several new and noteworthy blogs have started up in the meantime. If I've overlooked your blog or one of your favorites, drop me an email at dan@gonemild.com. Anyhow, new to the blogroll:

Freshmeat: Senator Jolie Justus' refreshingly direct blog about her freshman year in Missouri's legislature. Justus is drawing attention for taking prinicipled stands in Jefferson City, and such bizarrely aberrant behavior is causing the Republicans in our Capitol to attack her and her district. Some are questioning whether she should have buckled when they threatened to take away funding for UMKC. I'm sticking with her, though - it was her lack of enthusiasm for compromise that won my endorsement of her in the first place. Even if you disagree with her politics, though, I think you'll find her blog to be a unique insight into the life of someone living through the sausage-making process . . .

Just Cara
: Funny, topical, varied - Just Cara represents what most of us are striving for in a blog. Her political views are refreshingly unpredictable, and she dislikes being a lawyer. What's not to like?

KC Blue Blog
: While Just Cara wins props for her political variability, KC Blue Blog is one of my favorite local progressive voices because of its dependably liberal take. We don't always agree, but it's a smart, well-written site, updated regularly.

Blue Girl, Red State: More politics - I first noticed this blog during the recent city elections, though it has been around for a few years (I guess I need to spend more time reading blogs . . .). She's been featured on the Salon Blog Report - it's good to have talent like hers in our community.

Toellner Tells It: The upside of mission creep. This blog claims to be focused on " advertising, media and marketing with some personal stuff thrown in," but it has evolved into a forum for thoughtful, thought-provoking items, such as a four part series on what to do about our schools. This is some serious, great stuff - better than you will find anywhere in our print media here in Kansas City. Kansas City's best thinking is now being published on blogs, and Toellner Tells It is one of the best of the best.

Viable Third: This is more of a "cause site" than a blog, but I am linking to the Journals section, so it gets listed . . . Robyne Turner and Airick Leonard West have launched this site to encourage people to pledge to spend their money in the Third District of Kansas City. Simply stated, these people get it. We vote with our ballots occasionally, but we vote with our dollars daily. If we want economic development in our poorer communities, we have to get off our butts and spend some money down there. Go, read, think, apend . . .

The Kansas City Post: Mark Forsythe could have sulked off the scene after losing his election bid, but, instead, he has created a forum for policy discussion focused on Kansas City. Mark's a policy wonk with a ton of knowledge about a lot of issues. This is not the place to go with a bumper-sticker mentality - Mark and his guest writers are serious and thoughtful.

The Flogging of America: I thought this was already on my blogroll . . . News and views with a snappy, smart delivery. This blog takes on all comers - its recent smackdown of the Pitch was a masterpiece of how blogs can outdo the traditional media on important issues.

The Rest: I know I've forgotten some important voices - don't sit there sulking about it - email me and let me know what I missed . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger btyfrd said...

Thanks for adding us to the blogroll, and thank you for the nice words :)

4/24/2007 8:37 AM  
Blogger Blue Girl, Red State said...

Thank you for the link and the kind words! I've been visiting you for a while to get the low-down on the local.

I would like to let you know about another blog with roots here. It's called Watching Those We Chose. It's a group blog and we are doing some damned fine work over there - especially Corpus Juris on the Department of Justice issue. He is a local fella, too. He's a practicing attorney in Independence. He has gotten linked by Political Animal, the Washington Monthly blog. I'm proud to be associated with all of the bloggers contributing over there.

If you haven't checked that site out, you really ought to.

Thanks again for the link! (It's already sending traffic my way! hopefully you get some from mine, too.)

4/24/2007 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I've been needing some new stuff to read!

4/24/2007 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm blushing...but am glad you enjoy it.

I think you mislabeled me on the blog roll -- you have two listings for Tom Tomorrow but one of the links goes to Toellner Tells It.

I've gotten a ton of traffic today from your site...thanks for the mention.

4/24/2007 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home