Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Hien Vuong - Great lunch, Fascinating Company

Having read the laudatory review of Hien Vuong penned by newbie blogger Ancillary Adams, I had to give it a try. So, when a friend from Liberty suggested meeting for lunch, we chose this little shopfront on the west side of River Market.

Superb choice. My friend chose Fried Rice with Barbecue Pork and Chinese Sausage, and I chose something (#67 was the only way I could pronounce it) with crispy fried noodles and chicken. Hers looked good, but I know mine was better. Lots of crispy noodles, plenty of tasty chicken chunks, a nice sauce, and perfectly done chinese cabbage. Then I grabbed the bottle of home-made pepper sauce and made a few bites hotter than a Kansas City chemical factory. Beat me, hurt me, make me write bad checks. That was some good eats.

This is a tiny little shop - probably around a dozen people gathered to eat there. But it was a who's who of Kansas City. First was super divorce lawyer Barbara Hecht, who I haven't seen in years. Then came in Gonemild's favorite Jackson County legislator, Scott Burnett. Then there was the former proprietor of much-missed Waldeaux Wines and Liquors. Finally, the subject of Matt Bartle's 17-hour hissy fit, none other than Warren Erdmann. All that, and Kansas City's most urban blogger. Quite a crowd for a small restaurant.

So, where do you go to see Kansas City's famous and infamous?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. However, I'm a little scared that I might not be able to get a table next time after this kind of press.

2/08/2007 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We always go for dinner and there's nobody of public note there. Usually a couple in their 20s and a Vietnamese family.

I love the Seafood combination special, the pork chop with egg cake and the crispy shrimp appetizer.

2/08/2007 8:31 AM  
Blogger m.toast said...

Wow. I obviously need to adjust my Hien Vuong timing. Did you try the fried sweet potato with shrimp? It's fantasmic...

2/09/2007 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home