Monday, October 16, 2006

Nordie's at Noon

Of course, the publishing event of the year for the Kansas City blogosphere is Joe Miller's Cross-X. I have my copy, and I'm looking forward to reading it.

But, if you're the kind of person who reads more than one book a year (sorry to exclude you, XO), there's another new book from Kansas City you should add to your library. Nordie's at Noon is the story of 4 women under 30 who are diagnosed with breast cancer. Not to spoil the story, but it's real life, and not all the authors are around for a book tour.

They self-published the book last year, and a national publisher recently picked it up. The book gets a 4 star rating in People magazine this week, and Barnes and Noble and Borders will be doing front of the store displays in October for Breast Cancer Awareness month. Kim Carlos, one of the authors, is an old pal.

Over the past year, several of my friends have struggled with cancer, and all have survived. I'd like to make an easy joke about offering to do exams for anyone who wants one, but, seriously, women, please do regular breast exams and pap smears. If not for yourself, for those of us who would feel like the world would be a little emptier without you.

4 Comments:

Blogger Spyder said...

Thank you! But only if you men have a regular check up also!

My feet can't reach the pedal of the riding lawn mower. And I have to use a chair for anything above the first shelf. So life would be... well, it would suck without our favorite men.

10/16/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger antimedia said...

Dan, thanks for the impassioned plea for women to get regular exams, but don't leave us men out. Many men are not even aware that we too can get breast cancer. So men, go with your wives. Get your breasts examined too. You never know whose life you might save.

10/16/2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Spyder - the best commenter in the world becomes a blogger! Yippee!

10/17/2006 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, you shameless blogger-baiter. I've had a "book in progress" since my tweens. I'm constantly reading, and I suspect you know that.

And when I finally finish that book I started when I was twelve, I can check off one more Accomplishment.

Actually, a very dear friend of mine is at home still recuperating from a double mastectomy. No chemo or radiation, but her surgery was August 29th and as of 48 hours ago she still had drainage tubes which normally only stay in a couple of weeks.

Is this a book I should buy for her?

Knowing her sense of humor as I do, I think her response would be "Fuck, I've GOT cancer, I don't need to read about it. Want to buy me something? Go buy me some new tits. 44Ds. And bring me back a sandwich and a pitcher of margaritas. Good boy."

10/18/2006 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home