Thursday, September 14, 2006

I Think I'm Turning Republican

This morning, I did a post backing Bond and Talent in their efforts to get the new Cape Girardeau federal courthouse named after the non-druggy Rush Limbaugh. This evening, I was all set to do a massive smack down on Baby Blunt's ugly and blatant cronyism, for breaking his word and working to replace a competent tourism director with a donor whose only experience is serving as an advistory board member for Precious Moments. Please bow your head for a moment in honor of the aborted fun I could have had with Baby Blunt and Precious Moments.

What's causing me to cap my sarcastic pen, and write two pro-Republican posts in a row?

Matt Blunt appointed Dan Scott to the Southern District Court of Appeals today. He made a wonderful appointment, and he's earned my respect for a day.

I don't really know Dan's politics - I would guess that he is a sensible Republican.
But I've known him for almost 20 years, and his common sense, quick wit, and respect for others makes him an ideal judge for the appellate bench. He's smart, dependable, and immensely likeable. I know he will decide cases on the law and facts, and not on political considerations or personalities. I've had the honor of serving on the Missouri Bar Young Lawyers Section Council and the Missouri Bar Board of Governors with him, and he was one of the people everyone respected, and everyone listened to. I didn't always agree with him, but he often influenced my thinking.

Dan is probably around 50, and will be able to serve Missouri for another 15 years. We are fortunate to have him on our bench. Thank you, Governor Blunt.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, we'll allow you one day of praise, but then you have to get back to work. Matt Blunt is making such a mockery out of the governor's office that it's a shame. It's as if he has NO ONE running anything the flagpole for him before he does something.
He's had no problem passing out the patronage his whole term, which makes me think that he doesn't care about getting re-elected, just shoring up his support.
He may have done good this time, but it's a rarity, and it's sad that our great state has become juniors candy dish.

9/15/2006 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even a blind pig finds an acorn every so often.

9/15/2006 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan:

Once again we agree on something. Dan Scott was a great choice!

RM

9/15/2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

Dan, Dan, Dan! You're killin' me.

Letting your personal feelings and judgement get in the way of partisan politics. What the hell are you thinking?!? This is an election year!

You're a LIBERAL man! (slap!) Snap out of it! I need you to get your head in the game! We've got policies to combat and incumbants to defeat.

Now I know how the Chiefs felt when Green's cranium caused a 6.5 Richter spike at Arrowhead last Sunday.

C'mon! Walk it off! We need you back on the field! Play through the pain!

I'll give you a mantra..."bluntpreciousmoments. bluntpreciousmoments". Just keep repeating that, breath deeply and get your head right!

LOL!

9/15/2006 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home