Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Avian Flu Tip of the Day - Don't Suck Your Fighting Cock

I was driving to work this morning, listening to KKFI where Amy Goodman was dishing out the radio news on Democracy Now!, when, I kid you not, I heard the following quotation - "people have got avian flu from things like drinking raw duck's blood, which is a traditional delicacy in Vietnam, or sucking the mucous out of the nose of their fighting cock, as happened in one instance in Malaysia."

I almost hit a parked car.

How do you say that on the radio without collapsing into giggles?

Why did the guy admit that's how he got it, instead of claiming he got it from a public toilet seat?

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian Stayton said...

Just post some pictures from your trip, and no more sucking from the "fighting cock" quotes. C'mon. I look at that type of stuff on other sites.

10/19/2005 7:26 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Brian -

First off, I thought the news was important. Secondly - I'm working on the Cochabamba post, but I need to devote a few hours to putting it together. 2 weeks behind in work and school are making it tough. Look for somethng this weekend.

10/20/2005 6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a better chance of getting struck with lightning on Prospect than getting AI in Kansas City. One more 'fear' tactic by the government..right in there with WMD.

Dean Hughson
eggman/writer

10/20/2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger FletcherDodge said...

I just learned that I got Evian Flu from a tainted bottle of drinking water.

10/21/2005 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

8/18/2007 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

8/18/2007 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

9/10/2007 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home