Friday, July 22, 2005

Laugh at the Right

Several months ago, I pointed out what a useless twit one of the local conservative radio hosts is. Since then, in a surprising (even to me) demonstration of just how intellectually empty most conservatives are, he has actually gained control of the afternoon drive-time slot. It's a shame that KMBZ, which once was a respected news station, has suffered such awful ratings that it is resorting to clowns to get a little attention.

More importantly, Kansas City conservatives are going to die from intellectual malnutrition - not that they've ever had much of an intellectualy appetite. The other day, I flipped on the station and Agar was arguing that schools are hypocritical for teaching books which include profanity, yet disciplining a coach for cursing at his team. By that logic, we should all feel free to wander down to the local church on Sunday and rape, murder, and steal, since such topics are all covered in the Bible.

While I have little appreciation for Agar - I've met him, and he's a vulgar, repulsive little creep - I do thank him for hooking me up with the websit of ClassKC, where I get can find nice capsule summaries of some great books. For instance, they take Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison, and summarize it as follows: fucking small children, convicts, boys, sheep, dogs, goats, liver, each other, and even certain species of plants; fuck, fucking, motherfucker, drive that knife smack in your cunt, cocksucker, smacking my lips over another man’s dick.

Let's face it, you don't have to be a total goofball to be a conservative in Kansas City, but it sure helps . . .

6 Comments:

Blogger Faith Works said...

I realize I'm getting off track of your main point - "Agar is a twit." Nevertheless, you suggest that he and ClassKC.org are summarizing "Song of Solomon" in a particular fashion. Try going to this link within their site. http://classkc.org/review.php?book=song_of_solomon When you read the excerpts, it is hard to understand why this book, as opposed to hundreds of other fine literature books is required reading at that school. Must the kids read about what is set out in the book's excerpts to succeed in life? I don't think so. Is ClassKC.org suggesting the books be banned? No. They suggest that they not be "required". I don't have a problem with that. I try not to shelter my kids, but they don't need that garbage to be able to understand the world in which we live.

If that makes me a goofball, so be it.

7/23/2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Res -

Song of Solomon is most definitely not garbage, though it is a book that confronts some of the garbage that is part of life. I've read it, and I found it moving and inspirational. Of course, I would be hard pressed to justify why this book, as opposed to hundreds of other fine books, should be required, but that is always going to be the case. You come up with a list of required books, and I'll take my shots. The point is, educators have chosen to teach them, and they don't need ClassKC to substitute their judgment.

In reading the summaries, didn't you detect just a little prurient interest being exhibited, along with the love of pulling things out of context? Don't you think the authors of those excerpts enjoyed their work just a little too much? Like I said, I've read the book, and I didn't find it nearly as provocative as the horny bastards who did the summary did.

As for goofballs, I'm not calling you one. And, for the record, Agar is a serious twit.

7/23/2005 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another point conveniently overlooked by the "get rid of it" crowd--nobody is "required" to read any book. Parents can request substitutes. Of course, then you get eh Blue Valley mom who claimed discrimination because the alternate was too long--it had more pages than the required book. Sorry for the following, Dan--but these whining losers need to sod off and take their f'in bible with them.

7/26/2005 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the Program Director of KMBZ, which is the 3rd most listened to radio station in Kansas City (Arbitron rated 12+ AQH Share Spring '05, M-Su 6a-Mid), I have to tell you that you are waaaaay off the mark about Agar and the "low ratings" of KMBZ. Foolish statements.

Of course, its easy to comment and put things out as fact when you have no expectation that anyone would hold you to it... Typical and predictable.

But thanks for your continued listening! Don't forget to tell a friend!

Neil Larrimore
Program Director
NewsRadio 980 KMBZ

8/24/2005 3:34 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Sorry, Neil, I can't claim to have listened to your mindless radio station in the last few weeks. Agar is too stupid to bother with, and the rest of your stuff is entertainment, not information.

You claim that your numbers are good, but don't cite to any evidence. I'll admit that I don't know the ratings, but 3rd seems like a slippage to me. Weren't you second in fall of '04?

And don't EVEN come here and talk about facts, while you're still broadcasting Limbaugh and company. I do this in my free time, and I still do a far, far better job than Jerry Agar could ever dream of doing in terms of sticking to truth and honesty. You broadcast liars and drug addicts, buddy.

8/25/2005 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said... typical...

You need to move off the Limbaugh left-wing talking points. Too predictible.

Buddy.

10/16/2005 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home