Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Competitive Enterprise Institute Won't Compete

You probably haven't heard of the Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), and, if I weren't so easily amused by self-important goofballs, it would probably be best to keep it that way. They're one of those "think tanks" that are simply an over-staffed group blog - a group of like-minded cranks who passionately want to think they are influential, but whose influence is measured by statements nobody paid any attention to. Their history page acknowledges that they haven't done anything noteworthy since 2006, when George Will mentioned a failed lawsuit they had used to clog up our courts.

It's attention they want, and I ought not to reward them with the bright light of instant celebrity that comes with a mention on Gone Mild.

But they issued a challenge yesterday that was so pathetic in its delusional self-importance that it truly amused me. They issued a press release (picked up by nobody but me, I'd wager) offering Al Gore $500 "together with the proceeds of a world-wide email pledge-a-dollar drive" if Gore would engage in a global-warming debate with "Lord" Monckton. "Lord" Monckton is an English guy who got his "Lordship" from his Dad, and is running around telling people that Obama is going to sign a treaty in December imposing Global Communism.

Let's face it - Al Gore is a wealthy man. You'd expect that a "think (sic) -tank" on Competitive Enterprises would come up with a more competitive enterprise than a $500 check and a pig in a poke when seeking the attention of a multi-millionaire and very busy person like Al Gore.

I responded in kind by email, and I hereby repeat my challenge on the internet. I hereby challenge "Lord" Monckton to a debate on whether gravity really exists, and I offer him $10 to come to Kansas City and debate me.

In response to my competitive challenge, I heard from the General Counsel of the CEI. He refused to take me up on my challenge, but instead attached two articles by someone other than "Lord" Monckton questioning the science of global climate change. Seemed like a pretty pathetic dodge to me.

Undeterred, I hereby challenge "Lord" Monckton care to come to Kansas City and debate those two articles with me, and I offer the same $10 as bait.

For good measure, I also offered the General Counsel of the CEI a buck to come to Kansas City and debate the intellectual integrity of "Lord" Monckton (who has previously argued for quarantine of all persons with the HIV virus, together with mandatory universal annual HIV testing). I couldn't justify offering the full $10 for that one, since. let's face it, the debate wouldn't last very long.

Will the Competitive Enterprise Institute compete?

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course they won't debate you. They're libertarian fruitcakes. You'd eat them alive, but they would be too dumb to know it.

11/17/2009 1:58 PM  
Blogger craig said...

I agree Dan, you said;
"I weren't so easily amused by self-important goofballs"

I am amused by Al Gore also.

11/17/2009 9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous at 1:58.

I wouldn't go too strongly with the "too dumb to know it." when you've got "millions of degrees," Al Gore as your debating partner.

11/18/2009 9:18 AM  
Blogger I Travel for JOOLS said...

Here's a little study guide for your debate.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,662092,00.html

11/20/2009 7:56 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks, Jools. It's fascinating science, but don't worry about me facing the Competitive Enterprise Institute or "Lord" Monckton. They know better than to face my wit and intellect. The only thing they have going for them are money from oil companies and an inherited title.

11/20/2009 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Rhymes With Right said...

"Lord" Monckton is an English guy who got his "Lordship" from his Dad. . .

And based upon that stellar argument, "Queen" Elizabeth is an English broad who got her "royalty" from her Dad.

Dan, I'm simply appalled at the stupidity of your argument.

11/20/2009 5:28 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

If Queen Elizabeth thought she were a worthy opponent in an intellectual debate because of her lineage, I would certainly mock her as well. The fact that "Lord" Monckton is attempting to leverage a pathetic inherited title into a qualification for him to warrant the attention of his intellectual superiors (Al and me) is appalling.

11/20/2009 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not that Algore won't debate Monckton, its that he won't debate ANYBODY. Look at Andy Revkin at dot earth. There is a big pitty party for all of the so called "scientists" who are caught hiding data from FOIA requests.

11/22/2009 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you watched the video, it was pretty clear that CEI's debate challenge was a joke. Given that it included no references to bodily functions or any other manner of the puerile inanity you would recognize as "humor", I understand why you may have had trouble grasping its relative subtlety.

12/02/2009 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Author www.gonemild.com !
This valuable opinion

12/18/2009 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?

12/25/2009 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home