Wednesday, July 15, 2009

All-Star Game - Good Clean Summer Fun

I tend to be a grumpy purist when it comes to baseball. I loathe the designated hitter, and resent the overuse of relief pitchers. Cupped bats seem kind of new-fangled, and whenever people talk about aluminum bats in MLB, my voiced concern about safety is a mask for my true objection, which is aesthetic.

My natural tendency is to dislike the All-Star game. It's a media-hyped, personality-focused baseball carnival interrupting the mid-summer rhythm of streaks, road trips and mounting statistics. It's hardly even real baseball, with managers trotting substitutions in and out of the game, which is itself a mere follow-up to the 10-out abominable freak show which is the Home Run Derby. And it doesn't help that my preferred league is on a decade-plus losing streak.

Grumble, grumble, grumble - the fussy old conservative in me feels the bile rise.

But, gosh darn it, the All-Star Game was a blast last night.

Maybe it's a carnival, but there is something awesome about seeing those lineups packed with the best of the game. Maybe it's a freak show, but I can't help but feel joy at Prince Fielder knocking home runs over the crowd of kids in the outfield. And maybe the American League gets home field advantage on the first game of the World Series every year, but they do it by bringing a roster that always finds a way to win.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night's game, and look forward to Kansas City hosting the game in 2012. I hope Zack Grienke is still a Royal, and that he gets the hometown love that Mr. Pujols got last night. I hope the media descends on our city, and the airwaves are choked with reminiscing '85 Royals and the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

I hope I get a seat, and, if I do, I'll be cheering for a night of great baseball, and loving every minute of it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Groucho K. Marx said...

If you want that 2012 All Star ticket- look into home mortage rates now.

7/15/2009 7:06 AM  
Anonymous GMC70 said...

Amen. Ditto. Hope to be there with you.

7/15/2009 8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home