Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Albums? My World is on Shuffle . . .

A bunch of my more musically informed friends are compiling lists of their top 50 albums of 2000 - 2009. I'd love to join them . . .

I cannot remember, though, the last time I sat down and listened to an album straight through. These days, when I purchase new music, it goes into my computer, onto my iPod, and gets delivered in song-sized bites, pureed by the shuffle function.

That's gotta stop. Great albums are more than collections of great songs - the sequence of songs and the relationships between them can really deepen the experience of the music. To this day, my mind flips to the "next song" that should be coming up next whenever I hear songs from the classic albums of Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, or Neil Young. "Wish You Were Here" seems kind of lonely if it's not leaning up against "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)". "Even the Losers" sounds more poignant after the triumphant lust of "Here Comes My Girl".

This go-round has been lost to the iPod, but I'll be wiser next time.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous inafunkaboutthefunk said...

What do you think about the Squitiro diary, Dan? Too bad she used a City Computer making the document transparent and otherwise unhideable.

I am certain now that you will no longer let me post on your blog so other than posting notes to you on TKC, this is just a note for you to look at and know that I am aware of how low you have sunk and how terribly difficult it must be to continue spouting out the Pro-Funk delusional drool that you are prone to post.

7/14/2009 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy Joel Best of Volume I & II -- agreed -- certain songs just belong in certain order.

7/14/2009 6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wait? They still make albums?

7/14/2009 11:11 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Alright Dan,

How about top 50 songs of 2000-2009? I hate to reward obstinance with an exception, but your participation is desired.

7/17/2009 1:07 PM  
Blogger bigsmithdude said...

oddly enough, i feel your pain, man. while i firmly believe that mp3 players (and digital music in general) are one of the most ingenious inventions of recent memory, they also are primarily responsible for the demise of the album format.

i applaud your efforts to forgo the shuffle once in a while, and to listen to music as it was once intended to be heard by the creator. bravo!

your 50 favorite songs list is, however, something i would enjoy seeing. make it happen, beer man!

7/20/2009 8:10 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm working on my list!

7/20/2009 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home