Monday, March 30, 2009

Best Tamales in Kansas City?

If you google - best tamales kansas city - this site shows up at the top of the page. Last week, 34 people conducted that search, and wound up visiting Gone Mild to research that vital topic. Unfortunately, I'm letting my visitors down, so I seek your help in updating my opinion. Where can you buy the best tamales in Kansas City?

The source of my traffic dates back a little more than two and a half years ago, when I brashly opined that the best tamales in the universe, not just Kansas City, were sold at Habanero's on Troost. Sadly, Habanero's on Troost is now long-closed, and my advice is no longer helpful.

Readers and gourmands, I seek your help. Where can one purchase the best tamales in Kansas City? (I realize that the BEST tamales are probably made by somebody's mother or aunt, but please don't frustrate me with tales of unattainable tamales . . .)

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Average Jane said...

I like Tarahumara on 87th Street in Overland Park and Ninfa's at 964 Kansas Ave. in KCK.

3/30/2009 11:43 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Ponak's.

3/30/2009 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the tamales at Margarita's and Jalapeno's (I think they are owned by the same people).

3/30/2009 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally Ninfas

3/30/2009 4:27 PM  
Blogger Hyperblogal said...

I have to second Ponaks.

3/30/2009 4:39 PM  
Blogger kc food guy said...

La Posada Market on the Blvd. Get there early or they will sell out. They also sell awesome chichirones and carnitas.

3/31/2009 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried a few tamales and there is this company in Texas that ships out Tamales nation wide and i get them from there. The website is www.tamale.com. The carne guisada is really good too.

6/02/2009 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

margaritas and Jalapenos are not owned by the same folks but it is understandable how you would think that. The owner of Jalapenos used to work for margaritas so alot of the same items on the menu

12/20/2009 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a Habenero's in Lee's Summit, Mo (Hwy 50 and 291) SE of Kansas City. We live in St. Louis now, but my husband says they have the best tamales, and he misses them!

3/19/2010 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home