Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stretching Myself

I don't care for dance. I don't know why, but I don't get swept up in the beauty of a ballet, or the choreography of contemporary. I can appreciate that it's tough, athletic work to do, and it draws on a rhythmic talent I've never had, but I don't particularly care. It doesn't "speak to me" - I don't catch on to the art of it all.

It's not a rational thing, I know. I can look at abstract paintings and feel moved by the artist. Jazz can take me out of my world. Poems can make me forget to breathe. Symphonies can pull me to the edge of my seat.

But I'm a nonreactive stone when it comes to dance. Worse, I sit there and wish for something interesting or awful to happen. A wardrobe malfunction or a mistimed leap that turns into a chop block. I'm the idiot wanting NASCAR wreckage tossed into Swan Lake.

This weekend, I hope to give it another try, with Presumed Lost. According to a friend, I will be seeing
Classic silent film meets absurdist theater in this new collaboration with artist Nate Fors. The program also features “Canon Play,” a light-hearted exploration of choreographic and musical canon, and “Hong Kong Audio Diary,” an energetic, often comic vision of Hong Kong's vibrant urban life and clash of cultures as seen through the eyes of a foreigner.
Wish me luck, that I will discover a new facet of artistic appreciation. Better yet, come on out and demonstrate your artistic superiority to me by sitting next to me, enraptured while I look puzzled and sneak glances at my watch. $15 is a small price to see some of Kansas City's best artists put on a live show.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger mamagotcha said...

You might want to check out Stephen Fry's opinion of dancing. Perhaps you'll find a kindred soul.

http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/2008/03/07/bored-of-the-dance/

3/26/2009 7:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When it comes to art, the power to move me comes in the following order.

Dance
Music
Literature
Sculpture
Paintings

I feel a post coming soon about this subject.

3/26/2009 1:09 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I'm not sure you could do what they're doing on that poster no matter how much you stretched.

3/26/2009 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gone Mild, if you are going to provide a forum for other lawyers to be bashed, like Lydia, why don't you come out from behind the curtain?

3/27/2009 7:47 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm Dan Ryan, and I didn't bash her in the slightest - I don't even know her. Care to share your name?

3/27/2009 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck No, Dan.

And I didn't say YOU bashed her. I said you provided a forum for bashing her.

Whether you know her or not is irrelevant, of course.

Learn to read, counselor.

3/28/2009 4:50 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ha, that's funny that you refuse to use your own name while calling on me to give you mine.

So, is it your contention that I should shut down this blog because people chose to mention the information that Ms. Carson publishes on her website?

3/28/2009 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, my contention is that you should delete the libelous remarks.

3/28/2009 9:47 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

That's hilarious! You come here bristling with obscenity and bad attitude, anonymously seeking to defend a lawyer I have not attacked, and then you demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge of what "libel" is.

3/29/2009 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave poor Lydia Carson alone! So she's on probation with the Missouri Bar Association, so what? She's just a small time attorney trying to support her family and put food on the table like everyone else! So she messed up a few times. Let's try and be forgiving here. Show some compassion!

5/22/2009 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home