Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Thanks for Coming Out

This is one of those times I don't dare mention names, because I can't list them all and I wouldn't want anyone to be overlooked, but thanks to all who came out and tasted the Triple Sugar Tripel last night. That was a heck of a party!

The beer, for those who weren't there, was a lot sweeter than I expected, but it was a warming sipping beer for the winter. When cold, it had a pretty good balance between bitter and sweet, that slipped toward the sweet side as it warmed. I'm pleased with how it came out, though my homemade version was less sweet and full-bodied - the 75th Street version is a rich sipping after-dinner beer. The beer snobs at the party seemed to enjoy it as a complex, style-stretching Belgian Tripel, and people who don't typically drink beer enjoyed a sweet drink. One of my Bud Light-favoring friends summed up her reaction as "if you closed your eyes and didn't know it was beer, you would think you were drinking wine." I think there's some truth to that statement, and it hints at the complexity of the beer.

We raised somewhere over a thousand dollars for the Central City School Fund, enough for a scholarship enabling a child to attend an excellent Catholic school in the old Northeast or the West Side. That's a tremendous accomplishment. Thank you to all who came out and enjoyed the beer, and a special thanks for those who tossed something into the pot.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The comment about the wine was apt I think. Still, it was enjoyable. Thanks.

12/30/2008 8:32 AM  
Blogger kcmeesha said...

Thanks, Dan. Good beer, and you sure do know a lot of people :-). Doc was still incognito, though.

12/30/2008 8:44 AM  
Blogger JustCara said...

I loved the beer - and I'm not much of a beer drinker. Thanks for opening my eyes to how good beer can taste!

12/30/2008 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't much like sweet beers, so I doubt I would have liked it much. But I'll try to make it over there sometime in the next few weeks to give it a try.

12/30/2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had a blast and the beer was really good. May get another glass tonight.

12/30/2008 6:36 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

We had a great time & loved the beer. Glad we could help.

1/01/2009 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad that I missed the inaugural event, but I am determined to stop in and give it a try. Anyway, congrats!

1/02/2009 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home