Monday, October 08, 2007

Noodles Squared

Saturday at lunch time, we visited the new Noodle Shop at 641 East 59th. It was the second lunch in a row there for me - after visiting with a friend on Friday, I had to take the lovely spouse there. Simply a great place, but I see no need for me to write about it when the Moody Foodie has already written a thorough and well-written review. The only thing I would add is that the pickles plates are fascinating - people react strongly to the strong flavors, and like and dislike different items. Oh, and don't hesitate to try one of the cold noodle specials. The Noodle Shop is hip, yummy, friendly and inexpensive. If Moody Foodie and I aren't persuasive enough for you, or if you are a visual learner, Lynn has a review with pictures!

The Noodle Shop shows noodles can be hip.

Dinner showed that noodles can be square.

After catching an outstanding documentary (In the Shadow of the Moon - loved it!) at the Glenwood, we cruised up Metcalf and found a restaurant that wasn't swamped by children in suits or wobbly heels (it must have been homecoming somewhere). We found Villa Capri, and stepped into the past.

Formica tables, grapes that lit up, garish painting on the wall - it was right out of my childhood days, when we would have thought it the epitome of class. And the food was right out of the 1960s, too - iceberg lettuce salad (the guy at the next table got French dressing!), canned bland sauce, hard meatballs, and pasts cooked well past "al dente". Mega-brewery beer, no wine. Despite it all, the place had a certain charm. It felt like an elaborate set for a black and white movie - a throwback to a time long past.

In one day, noodles went from trendy to square. I'll go back to the Noodle Shop for the food, and, if I go back to Villa Capri, it'll be for the atmosphere.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link - I ate lunch at the Noodle Shop every day last week and will probably do the same this week (except for today, since they're closed on Mondays).

As for Villa Capri, I've driven by there so many times and have often thought that the place looked like a throwback to the 60s. I've been intrigued by the atmosphere, but frightened by my imaginings of the menu. Good to hear my assumptions about the place are true. I think I'll need to visit just for the time warp.

10/08/2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger Waldo Oiseau said...

I've driven past the noodle place several times ... I'll definitely be stopping in to try it soon!

10/08/2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger Average Jane said...

I've thought about going to Villa Capri, but now I think I can probably skip it. It sounds a lot like eating at Anthony's downtown.

10/08/2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

When I used to work in Johnson County I would go to Villa Capri for lunch. That was over 8 years ago. It was good back then. I'm planning to check out the Noodle Shop soon.

10/08/2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

Went to the Noodle Shop for lunch today (Wednesday). I have to say that once again Dan you are right about it! I had the Spicy Thai Peanut cold noodle dish. Wow was it good! I will be back!!!!

10/10/2007 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised Villa Capri is still in business. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, it was the only place that provided home delivery of pizza. Frankly, it wasn't very good. However, it did provide early employment for many of my friends who grew up in the area in the 1960s and 70s.

10/13/2007 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home