Monday, June 25, 2007

"Once"

Capsule review here, because what I'd really like to talk about would be a spoiler. So, go to the Tivoli, watch Once, and come back here to talk about it. It's an Irish film about a Dublin busker who winds up in a musical relationship with a Czech immigrant. If, like me, you would have been a world-changingly brilliant singer songwriter if you had only learned to play guitar, you'll enjoy seeing the male lead put together an album with people he meets on the street, while the relationship simmers.

Oddly enough, the male lead (neither of the leads is ever named in the movie) is Glen Hansard, whose only other film is The Commitments, which is one of the best films about music ever made. The guy has found his genre - Irish films about contemporary musicians. It's a small niche, but he totally dominates it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boyfriend really wants to see this movie, so I'll be back to discuss it with you as soon as we actually make it to the theater!

6/25/2007 10:07 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I've actually never seen The Commitments. I'll have to check it out. I might need to see Once... twice.

6/26/2007 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home