Friday, January 19, 2007

Ten Cup Half Empty

Sad news. I received an email announcing that the Ten Cup, an innovative and charitably-inclined coffee shop at 59th and Holmes, has closed. They distributed 10% of their profits to charities, but there just wasn't enough profit to make a go of it.

I admire the effort, and enjoyed the coffee while it was there. I hate the fact that I was correct in the pessimism I expressed in my review of the place just over a year ago - "The intersection of two lane roads in a part of town most people have never visited and most wrongly assume is a "bad" neighborhood is not an auspicious place to start a business that relies on a high volume of customers forking over under $5 each. . . .
To sum up, I think the place deserves some support, but I'm not optimistic that it will get it."

Email me if you want to hire me for entrepreneurial consultations . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger mamagotcha said...

Hey there, Dan. I'm certainly not speaking for Edward and Tim (the Ten Cup owners), but my impression regarding the closure wasn't so much low sales as continued bad experiences with flaky employees, resulting in last-minute plan changes when an owner had to take the place of a no-show barista. The stress of continual employee failure and turnover just added up to no fun anymore.

Keep your fingers crossed, though... I heard some scuttlebutt that there's a possiblity we'll still have a coffeeshop in that space.

1/30/2007 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home