Friday, April 07, 2006

Bush Administration Anti-Americanism

I take civil liberties seriously, and I sincerely believe that American democracy is at far greater risk from its own government than it is from terrorism.

Items like this make me feel like chicken little after the sky has actually fallen.
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales told lawmakers Thursday that warrantless spying on purely domestic phone calls between Americans on U.S. soil is an option in the war against terror.

"I'm not going to rule it out," he said in a hearing before the House Judiciary Committee.
Well, guess what, you anti-American totalitiarian Republican? YOU DON'T HAVE TO RULE IT OUT!! That's already been taken care of, by smarter, better people than you or anyone in your corrupt, war-mongering, fear-generating, leaking White House. Here's where the ruling out of warrantless spying on Americans can be found:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Does anybody remember the United States Constitution? Does anybody remember that we have had a pretty good run in this country, and does anybody else resent this Administration's scaredy-cat claims that we can't risk being American anymore because our government knows best?

We can have polite parlor conversation about the gray areas of civil liberties and personal freedom, but our founding fathers had the wisdom to foresee corrupt, immoral anti-Americans like Bush and his sidekick Gonzales, so they drew a few bright lines around the goverment. They said it can't spy on us. Gonzales says it can.

Censure? Sure, as a start. But only as a start.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your outrage is amusing. You fearsomely protect your phone conversations but aren't concerned with millions of people coming into this country without documentation or faked documentation, any one of whom can be carrying dirty bomb parts or using your identity or God knows what. Yet you are concerned about tapping the phones of citizens in this country? HaHaHaHa. We don't know who is what or where they are or what they're doing. And you're worrying about your privacy? Haaaaa Haaaaa

4/07/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

You are a frightened little soul, aren't you? I feel sorry for you.

Who says I'm not concerned about border control? I am, but, again, I fear the government controlling all of us more than a car bomb killing some of us.

Do you disagree that our phone conversations should be private?

4/07/2006 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frightened little soul? That's right, except our fears differ. You stated you fear control by the government while I fear getting blown to pieces. So..we agree...we are both frightened little souls.

Certainly I don't want the government or anybody else listening in on my phone conversations for the fun of it or to listen to tales of my sex life, or lack of it. However, picture the scenario whereby a terrorist is using my phone identity to talk to another terrorist. I've already had my phone identity stolen once so I know my scenario is plausible. In that case, I would expect the government is going to wiretap my phone if they knew it was involved in terrorism and under such circumstances I would agree. Warrants are necessary in most instances, but I think there are times when they can't wait for warrants.

And, I have read some of your other posts on illegal immigration, not only here but other places, so I am aware of your point of view on this issue..my reference to it in this post was related to your misplaced fears.

4/07/2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

No, you haven't read anything by me approving or condoning illegal immigration. You're imagining things, making them up, or assuming things about my position.

So, then, your fear of being blown up leads you to approve of warrantless searches. I admire your honestly, but I disagree strongly, and I have the Constitution on my side.

Unfortunately, you have Gonzales and other big-brother-government types on your side.

4/07/2006 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"this open letter to the media makes a lot of sense to me"

http://www.gonemild.com/2006/03/media-immigration-and-stupidity.html

4/07/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Les - it looks like my site has drawn its share of WATBs. Speak softly, or they might wet their pants.

They also don't read very well. They think that my quotation of a piece that doesn't condone or approve of illegal immigration means that I approve or condone illegal immigration. It would be hard for me to explain why, though. Perhaps they are too panicked to read clearly.



BOOM!!!

(Sorry, that was mean.)

4/07/2006 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The families of the victims of 9/11 wouldn't be amused with "boom", but will end here as your post was originally about another topic .. and should stay on topic.

One day your neighbor from Johnson County will identify herself..one of those who doesn't drive the SUV you so disdain..lol

4/07/2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Xavier Onassis said...

I'm with ya Dan. The odds of getting blown up (or even looked at cross-eyed) by a terrorist are about the same as winning the PowerBall or getting hit my a meteorite.

But the odds of having your privacy compromised by your own government or being falsly imprisoned are increasing every day.

What amuses me is you being called on the carpet for valuing YOUR privacy by someone who logs on as "anonymous". If this administration has it's way, anonymity will cease to exist.

Can't have anonymity if we're going to win the war against Evil Doers.

4/08/2006 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://fplxtwnx.com/sfvo/jkac.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://pzzuffko.com/zsvg/gkks.html]Cool site[/url]

11/14/2006 6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

11/14/2006 6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://fplxtwnx.com/sfvo/jkac.html | http://vkkkkycv.com/xsmg/clxf.html

11/14/2006 6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home