Monday, February 06, 2006

This is my 500th Post

I don't monitor my traffic as closely as I used to, but I recently noticed an uptick in visitors, and a new referral site. I was truly shocked when I saw that I was nominated for a Koufax Award, one of the most prestigious awards available to bloggers. I could try to be cool and act like I don't really care, but honesty compels me to admit that the nomination made me pathetically happy and proud.

This is my 500th post, and as such, it provides an arbitrary point to stop for a second and think about this site, rather than the latest political news or amusing news story. In short, I'm going to be self-indulgent for the next few paragraphs.

Since I started this blog almost 3 years ago, I've had a little under 200,000 visitors, from all over the place, including, just last week, traffic from Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, Thailand, the Principality of Andorra, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, Denmark, Ireland, Israel, India, the US Military, New Zealand, Poland, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.

Writing this blog has been fun and challenging. I started it because I wanted to sharpen my writing skills - I continue it because it's a way of participating in the world of ideas. Yes, I'm egotistical enough to think that I may have helped some people articulate their thoughts, that I may have changed a few minds, and that I may have caused some guilt pangs in some of the people who voted for this administration.

I've made a few friends through this blog, and stayed in touch with old ones. My kids read this blog, and so do at least one of my brothers, one of my sisters, one of my aunts and my mother. I've received some touching emails, and some pissed off ones. I value those visitors who take the time to comment - I've never had to delete one for content. They've often challenged me to think more deeply or creatively on topics. Thank you to all the readers and commenters.

A lot of blogs out there are doing some great things. The blogosphere is a vibrant place for arts, political thought, travel, music and more. This is my corner of it. I hope you enjoy it - it means a lot to me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the nomination!

2/07/2006 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home