Sunday, November 07, 2004

Housekeeping

I did a little long-overdue work on the template. I added several of my favorite postings to the "Some of my Favorite Posts" section, and I added several good ones to the "Links" section.

Here's an introduction to the new links:
The Agonist is an up-to-the-minute compilation of news dispatches from all over the world. Indispensable and thought-provoking.
Blog St. Louis has been in the links section for a while, but it was mislabeled as the similarly urled Archpundit, which makes its first appearance today. Both are good sources of news and views from the other side of the state.
I am Always Right is almost always wrong, but it is the blog of a good-natured and often thoughtful Christian conservative.
Kansas City Soil is the work of a passionate debate coach and writer living in Kansas City's Northeast.
Dangerblog is run by Eric, an occasional commentator on this blog. He does a great job with his own site, hitting a great balance of news, views and humor. Great stuff.

If you have suggestions of other links, please let me know.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan: Your description of "I Am Always Right" is indicative of the contempt liberals have for the religious. The "compliment" you give the blogger -- "good natured and often thoughtful"-- is empty. I am getting the feeling that any religious person that disagrees with your liberal views does so because of their religion.

11/08/2004 2:51 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

This has to be the stupidest comment ever posted on my site. I add a link to a guy's blog (a guy who doesn't link to my blog, by the way), and include complimentary comments. Then some anonymous yahoo comes along and complains that I was not flattering enough, and that's proof that I'm unfair to people with religious views?!

Look, bonehead, if you want to knock me for intolerance, scroll down a little and ding me for my description of the right wing in Missouri ("anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-evolution, anti-social program bible-thumpers"). Then my only defense would be that I was in the midst of a hardcore rant when I unleashed that bit, and I would have apologized.

But if you think that I have contempt for the religious, you are completely and utterly wrong.

11/08/2004 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got to stick up for Dan on this one since I know him. Dan is not hateful towards people of faith. The worst you can accuse him of on the religious front is that he is conflicted. On the one hand, he respects many deeply religious people. On the other hand, I believe Dan has an issue with those who are blindly religious - i.e. those who are zealous, but who have not really thought through what they believe or why. I've got an issue with those folks, too.

I'm a deeply religous person and did not take Dan's comment about that blog as being insulting. Since Dan obviously disagrees with the point of view on that blog, I can't imagine him saying anything much more complimentary. Frankly, the fact that he mentions a blog with an opposing point of view says something positive about his attitude.

RM

11/09/2004 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan and RM: This bonehead apologizes to you both. My comments were not very well articulated. The point I so poorly attempted to make--again, I apologize--is that the "compliment" was really a classic "damn with faint praise" comment. Saying someone is almost "always wrong" but "good natured and often thoughtful" is, in my opinion, like saying a woman is "well meaning but misguided." It is arrogance of the worst type. I don't back away from what I said one bit.

11/09/2004 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense taken here. Maybe I'm just used to Dan telling me (in a good natured kind of way) that I'm almost always wrong.

He's quite wrong about that, of course, but he thinks pretty deeply and clearly for a liberal. ; )

RM

11/09/2004 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily, Dan and I feel that each other are "almost always wrong" and "good-natured" ... Heck, I didn't take offense to his statement and it was about me :)

Tony

11/10/2004 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home