Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mea Culpa on Recall Petition

Classic boneheaded blogging here this morning. I was in full froth denouncing the Funkhouser Recall campaign, raising the specter of perjury because of their failure to attach the grounds for recall to the petition I was presented with yesterday evening. It was good work - a direct response to a personal experience I had, with big implications for the Recall Effort.

It would have been a great post, if only I knew what I was talking about.

Michael Hart from the campaign to recall Funkhouser sent me an email this morning, patiently and respectfully explaining that the information I sought was printed on the back of the petition, and that I might not have seen the information if I was presented with the petition on a clipboard.

In other words, I was wrong and off base.

No defense here, either. I didn't examine the document carefully enough, I didn't specifically ask the signature-gatherer for a written explanation of the grounds, and I didn't contact the campaign before launching my accusation. Sloppy and excuseless.

I continue to oppose the recall effort, but I don't want anyone to look askance at the effort because of what I wrote.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous inafunkaboutthefunk said...

You are losing it, Dan. I feel sorry for you. Additionally, you exposed yourself again for being a Pro-Funk Stooge. Again, I replace the word "stooge" with "skilled operative." Not that you have shown yourself to be skilled when dealing with all things Funk.

I appreciate your mea culpa but feel sad that you have reduced yourself to this level. And like the Funk, you have no one to blame for this but yourself.

4/29/2009 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Political Python said...

Is there a Special Olympics for Political Advocacy?

I think Dan gets a gold medal for his two-year effort.

4/29/2009 10:51 PM  
Anonymous inafunkaboutthefunk said...

Maybe you need to hire Big Jeff Roe as a consultant for Gone Mild?

4/30/2009 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done in by your own hand. Poor Dan. As always, you have no one to blame but yourself. Congrats for owning up to this!

4/30/2009 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It would have been a great post, if only I knew what I was talking about."

Pretty much sums up your blogging history Dan with the exception of your beer posts.

4/30/2009 6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Dan. Anyone can make a mistake, but it takes a mensch to admit it and correct it.

4/30/2009 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Lance said...

Dan, no good deed goes unpunished. Kudos for having the integrity to post this apology/correction. I don't always share your point of view, but I do always appreciate reading what you write. Thanks.

4/30/2009 11:37 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Good for you for standing up and admitting when you were wrong and making the correction. Too many people would run and hide when a mistake comes up and/or pretend nothing had happened.

Too bad those leaving comments attacking you don't have even an ounce of integrity to identify themselves.

4/30/2009 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Political Worm (Sorry, but people who claim to be Pythons rarely are) - it's more like accidentally bumping someone and apologizing. Even Michael Hart agrees it was a mistake.

I'd suggest you apologize.

4/30/2009 1:50 PM  
Blogger wbahner said...

"it's more like accidentally bumping someone and apologizing."

Accidentally??

Dan didn't "accidentally" accuse the recall folks of any wrongdoing. He did it without thoroughly checking out the situation....

4/30/2009 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Sophia said...

Too bad those leaving comments attacking you don't have even an ounce of integrity to identify themselves.Jason,

The substance of the criticism is more important than the person making it. For the most part, knowing the identity of the critic only ads ad hominem to the conversation.

For example, I clicked on your name and was rewarded with a wealth of detail. I'm not sure why you consider yourself full of integrity because I can find out that your first interest is "Jesus." Or that your favorite books are the Bible and anything by Robert Ludlum. I'd like to give you bravery points for professing your love for the band Rush, but it has little to do with your comment to Dan about owning up to mistakes.

Regarding Ludlum, a few months back I read a book that was by Robert Ludlum (tm) that had a different writer. I think fake Ludlum is a better writer than real Ludlum. What do you think?

5/01/2009 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home