Monday, December 15, 2008

Chiefs Trail Bourbon Barrel Quad

This would have been unthinkable a few years ago, but yesterday I completely forgot about the Chiefs game. Owen from the Pitch invited a few people to his family's restaurant (Adrian's Cafe, near Corporate Woods) to taste the latest release from Boulevard, and nobody even mentioned the game. Nobody had a radio on, and nobody asked if a TV was available. The Chiefs have achieved complete irrelevance in a town that once bled Chiefs red.

The good news is Boulevard Brewery is giving Kansas Citians something to bolster civic pride. Bourbon Barrel Quad is the latest in the Smokestack series, and it was worth the wait. Rich, chewy, raisiny, bourbon-noted, cherry, complex and overwhelming are the adjectives that came to this writer's mind, but I'd recommend checking out the write-ups by Owen Morris (I assume he'll post something today at Fat City), Wes Port of KC Beer Blog, and Chimpotle (nothing posted yet).

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I wish I could FORGET the game. When I walked out in the late 3rd/ early 4th we had a solid lead. Before I got home they lost. Oh Well

Now, as for the BBQ, I got myself a couple bottles this weekend. I cracked one lat Friday evening, and really quite liked it. I am NOT a trained taster, but I know what I like. It was dark and tasty and satisfying, and I prefer it to the (not really bad) Sam Adams Winter Brew I had the weekend before.

12/15/2008 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suggest we now adopt the new Arab cultural thingy that I didn't even know about.... when the Chiefs come on the field next home game we all throw our shoes at them.

12/15/2008 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone else noticed that when Dan does not make a God awful stupid post defending the Funkhouser Squitiro Gang, almost no one reads this blog anymore?

12/15/2008 8:17 PM  
Blogger craig said...

Neighbor,
Don't ruin a good beer with idiocy. If there is one thing I have learned, a good beer can bring together people of all political stripes and allow them to get along. But about 12-15 of them can really cause a ruckus.

12/15/2008 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neighbor,

Lurkers still count. Just because people aren't commenting doesn't mean they're not reading and enjoying. I always enjoy Poetry Sundays, but I think I've only commented on it once.

12/15/2008 9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I opened up the third bottle tonight and this one came from a different batch. (I bought the four bottles in two separate trips.) I liked it more but still don't like the style as much as the Ommegerang you brought, now that was delicious.

12/15/2008 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about complete irrelevance. They've sold out every game since at least 1994.

12/16/2008 12:18 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Neighbor - It's true that I can generate a lot more comments if I write about Funk, but the traffic usually remains about the same. My Sundays have seen a real upswing since I started the poetry series, and I receive more email about them than comments - it's just a more reserved group of people, I think.

You do raise an interesting point, though - the perception of an active blog is dependent on comments, and if I wanted to further that perception, I could do worse than becoming a blog focused on defending unpopular politicians. If that were my goal, maybe I should dump the darned poetry stuff and start writing pieces defending the great work of the KC Metro School District . . .

12/16/2008 6:25 AM  
Blogger les said...

I'll have to try the Bourbon Barrel--I haven't been blown away with the series so far. Still, fun to have some new entries to try in any event.

12/16/2008 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home