Friday, June 30, 2006

Habanero's on Troost

What on earth could make Pancho's on Main better? I mean, that's a tall order.

How about if you put it on Troost (Kansas City's hippest street) and rename it Habanero's?

Just a little north of 63rd on Troost, Habanero's is putting out some fantastic cheap Mexican chow. One of their burritos should satisfy any rational being. Plus, they serve Mexican Coke, which is a wildly different and better product than its insipid, high-fructose-corn-syrup poisoned American cousin.

I'm not ready to say that Habanero's is a better restaurant than Pancho's. Pancho's may be the best Mexican food I have ever had. But I will say that Habanero's is way up there. Way up there.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

i absolutely love pancho's california burrito. burritos + potatoes = perfection.

7/01/2006 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And who told you about Habanero's? :-)

7/03/2006 11:48 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

A good friend and coworker, who has such remarkable judgment that she is able to recognize a great restaurant even without eating meat!

7/04/2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Is the place on Troost related to the Habanero's in Leavenworth?

("Good lord, that's in Kansas ...")

7/05/2006 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went here tonight for dinner. Yum. :) Thanks for the tip, Dan! They have great hours too--open till 11 in the dining room, and on Fridays and Saturdays the drive-through is open until 3am! Phone, in case you want to double check hours before you go at night since they haven't been open long, is 926-0026.

7/07/2006 9:33 PM  
Blogger bgo said...

We live just up the road from Habanero's and went their for the first time today. Right now I am enjoying 2 wonderful Cabeza tacos. The menu is incredible. Still, my heart lies with Ortega's Mini-Market as the best in the KC area. But both Pancho's and now Habanero's are at the top of my list of places that will get our repeat business.

And yes, when I saw the cold case with the bottles of Mexica Coca Cola, I knew I had stepped into a heavenly joint.

m&s

7/22/2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger bgo said...

I might add that now Georgie Porgie's is set to reopen in what was until recently Grace: A Bistro at Gregory and Troost, things are looking up for my neighborhood.

m&s

7/22/2006 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home