Thursday, August 25, 2005

For Just a Minute, I Thought I was Cool

After you reach a certain age, it becomes more and more difficult to avoid letting your musical taste stagnate, and then begin to atrophy. In college days, I seemed to keep up with the latest great music simply through osmosis. After law school, and kids, and middle-agedness, though, the temptation to replay the same Springsteen, Costello, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Joe Jackson, Sting, Bob Marley, Cars, Dylan, Billy Joel (I know, but . . .), Chuck Berry, Talking Heads, Eurythmics, Graham Parker, REM, and Warren Zevon albums - or their CD replacements - becomes overwhelming.

I've fought against it, though. I try to keep up. I check out music blogs, from the local (and aptly named) Extraordinary to the oh-so-hip Fluxblog.

On the way back from New Orleans, Sam dished up a treat. He hooked his iPod into my speakers and fed us some new and dazzling Kanye West, which was nice, but then he hit us with The Hold Steady. Solid rock and lyrics that Dylan would admire.

So, on Monday, I was a proud member of what I thought was a small group of up-to-date music lovers. It felt like college days. I was kind of looking forward to dropping Andrea D an email ("Hey, Andrea - you might want to check out the The Hold Steady. They're good stuff, with a bullet.").

Imagine my horror, then, when I heard NPR do a feature on them yesterday, on All Things Considered, describing their album Separation Sunday as "one of the best-reviewed records of the year". Sigh. I'm at the same level of hipness as Melissa Block, Michele Norris, and Robert Siegel.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so uncool it's not funny. Thanks for the tip about The Hold Steady. I'm always looking for new (good) music.

8/25/2005 8:00 PM  
Blogger Brian Stayton said...

Especially when it comes to music, you've always been way cooler than me. I've never figured out a way to find good music beyond Top 40 type play lists. And I'm way too old to listen to that crap now.

So, as embarassing as this might be to admit, I probably now hear more new country music than anything else. At least, most of the time, I can understand the words. There's a lyricism and rythym to Kenny Chesney or Toby Keith -- or, at least, a few of their songs -- that I can relate to, much more than the groups you mentioned.

8/29/2005 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home