Sunday, April 17, 2005

Civics Lesson

While I hesitate to admit this, I have almost always ignored the appeals to "Call your Senators" or "Call your Congressman" on federal issues. I've always been blessed with dependably liberal Representatives (Alan Wheat, Karen McCarthy and, now, Emanuel Cleaver) and cursed with dependably conservative Senators (Danforth, Ashcroft, Bond and Talent). I've always expected my Representatives to represent me, and my Senators to represent all that is wrong in the world.

Yesterday, I learned that I need to pay closer attention. Somehow, Emanuel Cleaver chose to abandon his inner-city constituents and cast a vote in favor of the credit card companies when faced with the "Bankruptcy Reform Bill". I have no idea what his justification was - I will write to his office and seek an explanation. If I receive one, I'll post it here.

Update - here is a link to his online form for communicating with his office. Here's what I wrote:
I was suprised to read that Congressman Cleaver abandoned the democratic position and voted in favor of the so-called "Bankruptcy Reform" law written by the credit card companies. That law will harm thousands of Congressman Cleaver's constituents, half of whom will be forced into bankruptcy because of astronomical medical bills. While proponents of the bill claimed that the expenses of bankruptcy are passed on to consumers, there is no provision which obligates the credit card companies to reduce their rates in response to this gift, and we both know it won't happen.

What happened? Why has Congressman Cleaver stood arm-in-arm with the republicans to comfort the comfortable and afflict the afflicted?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. You may be the first person I've heard, liberal or conservative, who described Danforth as representing what's wrong with the world.

2. With respect to the credit card legislation - do you think MasterCard or Visa offered to help Cleaver with the back taxes on his car wash?

4/19/2005 1:43 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Okay, okay, you're right. Danforth wasn't that bad. That's why he feels alienated from the idiots in charge of the party now.

4/19/2005 7:29 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I received my reply, and it was quite comprehensive, I'll email it to you if you'd like

4/20/2005 1:57 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Thank you, Janet. And I'm sorry to hear about Lexi.

4/20/2005 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home