Thursday, January 27, 2005

Senator Clinton

Moments ago, I was in a bar with 6 friends of mixed political views. One of the conservatives commented that he had seen a "Hillary '08" bumper sticker, and asked the liberals in the group what we thought. We were lamely and dispassionately positive, and now I regret my inability to insist that her voice be taken seriously. The posting from Kos (quoted in its entirety - in case there is any misguided soul who reads this blog who does not read Kos) put me in my place. I have never bashed Ms. Clinton, but I have been cowardly in my failure to defend her.
What's the problem with Hillary?
by kos
Thu Jan 27th, 2005 at 14:41:36 PST

Feeling uncreative and tapped out, I took advantage of the day to run some errands and have lunch in The City. I let my thoughts lead where they may, and they culiminated with this simple question:

What the fuck is up with all the Hillary bashing around these parts?

To be clear, she's not my favorite potential presidential candidate for '08, but she's also not my least favorite choice.

Yet the more I thought about the personal attacks she endures from people on her own side, the angrier I got.

Look, there isn't a single person that has suffered worse at the hands of the Right Wing Noise Machine and the Corporate Media. She has borne the brunt of attacks that would've shriveled up lesser humans. She has had to deal with personal problems in a public way that would've driven most of us underground.

Yet not only has she parried aside those savage attacks, but she has grown and thrived. That is worthy of respect. She is on the front lines against our enemies and doesn't deserve to be ravaged by her own side. She doesn't go on Fox News to attack fellow Democrats, like some of the others do.

You disagree with her vote on Pet Issue X? Fine. Every elected official will vote against one of your pet issues. Expect 100% agreement with anyone and you WILL be disappointed. Heck, there are fools wailing about Obama this and Obama that already, as though any senator or congressman or governor or anyone will ever heed your every wish.

So disagree with actions X, Y, or Z if you must. But the vitriol sent her way here rivals that dished out by the Freepers. She doesn't deserve it, and I wish those people would chill. She's not the enemy.

2 Comments:

Blogger dolphin said...

While I agree with you and Kos that it's bad when libs bash Hillary (unless of course they have legit problems with her) but I don't think that not bashing her means supporting a presidential run for her. Regardless of the job she would do, she wouldn't stand much of a chance at being elected, and regardless of anythingelse, if a candidate is not electable, you cna't put them forward. The right has had oo much time to demonize her. The politically inactive unfortuately often vote as they are told and she would certianly not get their votes.
Secondly, I hate to say it but she's a woman. I'd love to see a woman run for presidency, but there are still segments of the population who will not vote for a woman so if a woman runs for president she will (at this point in time) be at an automatic disadvantage so placing someone controversial like Hillary in that role would be a dangerous move.
While not my top choice, I think illary would do a good job as President, but for anyone to do a good job as President they must first get elected, and that is not something I see as a great possibility for Hillary.

dolphin
http://www.dolphinsdock.com/blog/

1/28/2005 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankly, its smart for the liberals not to put Hillary forward for President. Some conservatives would like nothing more than to see that scenario. Hillary for President would electrify the Republican rank and file to get out the vote for "Anyone but Hillary." The frightening aspect of Hillary running for President is it could lead to a landslide victory for a really reactionary conservative.

2/07/2005 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home